What Is Doug Going To Do To AA?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Pizzaman, Jul 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've been an American Airlines EXP for a number of years. I can count on one hand the number of US Airways flights I've had in that timeframe, none of which have been on a 2-cabin aircraft.

Loyal US Airways folks, treat me like I'm ignorant (not a big stretch). What is an airline run by Doug going to look like? What US Airways traits am I likely to see?

jbcarioca, Mapsmith and LETTERBOY like this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

The answer to that question will determine how many loyal AA flyers stick with AA.
    If he removes movies on long domestic flights as he did with US Air, I will be flying elsewhere.

jbcarioca and Mapsmith like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The two carriers aren't really all that different.

Three-cabin planes will stay on limited routes and nearly the entire domestic fleet already has WiFi. There will be a loyalty program which will likely differ a bit from both the current AA and current US programs with some changes being good and some bad, depending on your personal travel patterns. They're keeping the AA IT platform so that means online award redemption for partners more than US offers today, which I'd say is a win.

And until the announcements are made on the other details no one really knows more than that.

4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    No tablet device? Decent 7-10 inch android tablets are going for $99 or less and an Apple iPad Mini isn't horribly off the chart, either. Allows one to carry their own choice of content.

Ed - US Flyers will finally have iPad and android apps for boarding passes, account info, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

jbcarioca and LETTERBOY like this.
  5. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd say AA is on a good path to match US's approach. Newer fleet. Less inflight amenities (but wifi available). Ugly paint job.

MX and jbcarioca like this.
  6. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    The new AA will have four elite tiers and "unlimited complementary upgrades" (i.e. no E-500s). CLT will be the fortress hub; :p. Last sentence was a joke folks. :D

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Concise ands correct. As a US CP and AA EXP I'm quite familiar with both, although almost entirely international. AA has far better systems and far better integration. US does not even have an IOS app. US also has a lousy website.
    Apart from taht inflight they're far more similar than different, with an edge to US because of generally newer and spiffier aircraft, though that is about to change for AA anyway.
    Treatment of top Elites does differ. AA sets the standard IMO (I'm not only those to but DL DM also) but US does try. Program sweeteners are more creative at US, with more gamesmanship built in.
    Despite everyone else seemingly thinking Parker will instantly change a lot, I really doubt it. He grew up at AA, remember, and always has wanted back in. The cynic in me wonders if he'll pick up a third DUI and maybe not last too long at the top.

LETTERBOY and MX like this.
  8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    One can only hope. Then they can give the reigns to Maya. :)

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

9. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Boy, wouldn't that make my day? Maya's a pragmatist who also gets us crazy frequent travelers.

10. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a fear that, eventually, the merged carrier will flood the market with miles like US has done the past few years (Grand Slam, etc.), which will make oneworld partners tighten up on the amount of availability they release to AA.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm betting BA encourages that to get more people to pay outrageous YQ on "free" tickets, and that US members scream in shock the first time they make a BA TATL redemption.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Fewer first class seats, but we're already seeing that (see A319 configuration).

Reduction in meal service, but we're already seeing that (this year's snacks replacing meals).

Parker says he understands that AA's business is different than US'. But the merger already comes with built-in higher costs for the US operation (pilots). They aren't going to want to put AA inflight cost structure into play for US routes.

There will be most certainly some meeting in the middle, likely closer to US than AA.

I'm betting they close a few clubs, too.

But as a DCA-based EXP I make out just fine :)

LETTERBOY, jbcarioca and Gtitan like this.
  13. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    If I am not mistaken, Doug already has 3 DUI's, but I could be wrong.

I have no doubt he will cheapen the product, perhaps driving some loyal AA customers away, just as he did with US after that merger. His primary concern is shareholders; he could care less about customers or employees. Historically he has been known to step over dollars to pick up pennies. He has a documented disdain for elite flyers as well.

Personally I am hoping the US government shows some guts and rejects the merger on anti-trust grounds, but that is a dream at best. I think the bottom line will be the "dumbing down" of the old AA, and traditional AA loyalists will be unhappy in the end. While I am not sure he will succeed in making UA look better, I think DL will look pretty sweet in comparison....

LETTERBOY and jbcarioca like this.
  14. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    His first two were in his 20s.

For his third, six years ago, he blew a .096 and he spent a day in jail.

I'm not sure this is especially relevant or predictive.

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Art, you and I agree on quite a bit. But, I don't think the US government would be showing guts to reject the merger. There's really not a lot of competition between the two airlines.

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:

The merger will not be be blocked by the federal government.

While I personally prefer the AA inflight product overall (I could care less about the pimped out inflight entertainment DL has, though I do like that they equip RJs with internet), Delta is probably the best-run airline overall.

However I highly doubt that the overall Delta value proposition, including elite benefits, will look attractive.

And I fully expect that in a matter of months the Delta frequent flyer value proposition will look worse than it does today.

So I think saying Delta will look good in comparison is likely wrong.

17. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

Carrying a tablet is just one more thing to lug around. I would rather have it provided by the airline.

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    With what content? Most airlines don't stock the stuff I want to watch anyways, even if they have a great IFE system. I'd rather they spend more on content licensing and less on hardware to have a better selection on their BYOD streaming server.

19. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    And I'd just assume provide for myself. Even on CX/SQ I'm far more likely to watch the content I've already downloaded to my ultrabook.

"Having IFE" might be a positive. But it's also costly. The relevant question for an airline is whether it's the biggest bang for buck in terms of attractive passengers and/or earning a revenue premium.

Now, I have heard Parker say something to the effect of 'every airline executive resents the guy who invented IFE'. Which means that HE resents the concept. ;)

20. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    And I'd rather not pay for your content. :)

You're right though, my iPad mini is heavy and takes up a lot of space. :D

marcwint55, LETTERBOY and jbcarioca like this.
  21. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm with Seth and Gary. I would much rather control my IFE fate. And have the airline spend that money elsewhere.

22. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with you although mine is a normal iPad so it is even heavier, 1.44 pounds to be exact. That is almost as much as one of the lightest paperbacks I used to carry with me and is a real pain! :D
    OTOH, I have never, ever used any IFE on an airline. I agree with Doug Parker as quoted by Gary:
    IME, people who travel very often are less likely to use AVOD of any type:
    Here is my prima facie proof. All three of our preeminent authorities share the same view. 'nuff said.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  23. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Good thing I wasn't drinking wine reading this. I'd have wasted it spitting it in my screen when you referred to me as a preeminent authority.

jbcarioca and Wandering Aramean like this.
  24. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1. Value added post y'all. :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  25. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Modest you may be, but Founders have the right to semi-deification among us. Besides you correct my errors without making me feel bad. That's certainly one way to be entitled to preeminince in my book.