What is customs like for a 9pm arrival at LHR?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by BigPoppaCO, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I am taking my first ever morning to flight (CO) EWR-LHR next week and am curious what to expect in terms of wait time at customs. My last 2 BF flights on CO were excruciating; both had 90+ min waits to clear. I love flying BE on AC because they give you that pink fast-track thing. Amazing to me that you can spend $4000 on a ticket and spend a 1/3 of the total flight time waiting in line once you land. Anyway- is 9PM any better than 9AM? (weekday flight)

2. Sasa
    Original Member

Sasa Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've taken that EWR-LHR day flight a few times this year. In all but one case, immigration and customs were both really quick. On one occassion, there were only a handful of lines open, so the wait was almost as long as an early morning arrival. YMMV.

3. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was on the daytime IAD-LHR flight that arrives between 930 and 10pm recently ---arrivals was much easier and faster than it is in the morning. They had 9 (at least) stations open, and only one flight arriving.

4. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA gives out fast track passes to F & C pax at LHR. Hope that practice continues!

5. the_other_Mike_Asia
    Original Member

the_other_Mike_Asia Silver Member

Status Points:
    T-1 was fairly dead when I got in that time on LH. Can't speak for T-4 though.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did it in June and we waited <5 minutes having deplaned from row 21. Piece of cake.

7. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    i did this flight in January, they did hand out the fast track pass however the fast track line was closed. [​IMG] ended up in the regular line anyway. i dont know the fast track hours or usual open scheme. would be willing book my flights around that. LOL

8. CO doesn't give out Fast Track slips???? Jeez... :rolleyes:

Thank god I'm a British citizen.

9. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think they d:( so for arrivals at LHR. They do for departures.

10. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Be aware that EWR-LHR arrives in T4, not T1 where UA arrives, so the experience will be different.

I presume that the question is really about immigration, not customs. Unless you have something to declare, you simply walk straight through customs - you have to look mighty suspicious or be mighty unlucky to be stopped.

If you do mean immigration, then it's largely dependant on which flights land ahead of you - 747s from the Middle East or from the Indian subcontinent will be very bad news, but T4 does not get too many of those. Instead T4 is largely an intra-Europe terminal and most of those pax will go through the EU channel. In short, it should be ok.