What is considered a "Stay"

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by adalnay, May 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. adalnay

adalnay Active Member

Status Points:
    I was thinking of taking advantage of the Gold Status promo:

https://hiltonhhonors.com/processLanding6.aspx?lp=cwtoffer

The promo requires 4 stays within a 90 days upon registration. If I stay 4 nights a Hilton, does it count as 4 stays or 1 stay. Sorry if the question smells too newbie.

Thanks!

2. Jeff the Wanderer

Jeff the Wanderer Silver Member

Status Points:
    A stay is defined as having a check-in and a check-out. I you stay 4 nights in a row at the same property, that will only be one stay. If you stay a single night at 4 different times, that will be 4 stays. Hope that helps.

3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If not too inconvenient, switch each night to another hotel. You can stay at the Hilton, then go to a Doubltree or other Hilton family hotel. Then switch back to the first hotel and change one more time. It is a bit of a pain, but usuallly there are at least two hotels that will qualify in a city and other than the hassle of checking in and out, you will still be wherever you plan to go. My oldest daughter graduated from the Marshall school four years ago and is now a practicing attorney, so Go Trojans.

5. adalnay

adalnay Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the quick responses everyone.

Does anyone know if I could use the 40% getaway discount and still qualify as a "stay."

6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends on what type of discount it is. Here's the relevant part in the T&C regarding what is considered or not considered an eligible stay:

7. tomy77

tomy77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're referring to the "Great Getaway" promo Hilton's having right now, then it most definitely is.

8. adalnay

adalnay Active Member

Status Points:
    That's it tomy77. Good to know. Thanks!

9. cgriffiths

cgriffiths Active Member

Status Points:
    How do you go about booking stays with this special promotion with Carlson Wagonlit? I've registered, but the terms and conditions mention that you need to make the bookings through the designated online booking tool. Would anyone know how this works? Many thanks!

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, it isn't.

A stay is any number of consecutive nights at a property. Staying four consecutive nights on four different reservations and checking out and back in between each of the nights is still only one stay.

11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are both technically correct. The Wanderer had said nothing about checking right back in so, therefore, his definition of a stay is valid. You, the Armenian, are correct in asserting that checking out and checking right back in on the same day would still be considered part of the same stay, no matter how many times one does this (if this were allowed, it would be possible to reach diamond status in a single day at just one property!)

12. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone booked a Hilton stay through AA Vacations (American Airlines)? I assume that would be considered a third party booking, and wouldn't receive stay or night credit, can anyone confirm? What about incidentals charged to the room (dining, etc)? Would you get base points for those charges atleast?

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    A stay is absolutely not defined as a single check-in and check out. It simply isn't. While it may actually also qualify as one in some circumstances, that isn't the definition of the term.

The HHonors T&C has a very specific definition of what a stay is:

My answer was correct; the other one was not.

All stays involve checking in and checking out. Just checking in and checking out doesn't necessarily define a stay.

14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know the HH T&C by memory, and I do not wish to waste time on this. A stay can be defined as simply as a check in and then a check out. The only caveat is when someone checks back in right away and hopes it would count as a separate stay.

This is straightforward stuff, I think.

15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And yet you're offering a definition which specifically doesn't comply with that T&C. :confused:

It can, but that would be, at best, an incomplete definition and, at worst, just plain wrong.

What is so hard about using the actual definition rather than trying to make up another one with caveats and such??

Indeed. I'm not at all understanding of why you are choosing to confuse the issue by offering up information which is demonstrably inaccurate.

16. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    What B.S. is this...

Like I said, this is a waste of time. I am not going to engage you on this because it is clear again that is your "absolutist" nature regarding things that are not absolute. Checking in at Hilton property, staying at the property for xyz days and then checking out is called a stay. Whether it qualifies for HH points, meaning "an eligible stay" is another question for which the terms are clearly stated in the T&C.

Over and out.

17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just reality. Sorry it doesn't agree with you.

I don't understand this at all. The definition as provided by the company is absolute. There are no caveats or variables associated with it.

Indeed, it is. Because is is some number of consecutive nights at the same property. The definition is quite clear. Coming up with other things which fit that definition and then claiming that they should be the reference point rather than the actual definition is misleading and not useful information.

Huh!?!? This is the only question, not another question. The whole point of this inquiry is what a stay is in the context of earning points, not some random esoteric interpretation of whether the sky is really blue or if it just looks that way.

18. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:

Fine, the question of eligibility is the "only question", so what is so earth-shattering about it? The T&C are clear on what an eligible stay means, all of which will include checking in and then out, which constitutes the simplest definition of a "stay". If one would like to find out the "shades" of "a stay", then one goes to the T&C. There is a long list of exclusions and caveats, etc, so things are not as black and white as you, as usual, want to them to be. Did I get through this time?

19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No, the simplest definition of a stay is some number of consecutive nights at a given property. Just like the T&C prescribes. The suggestion that the most relevant part of the T&C is that there is a check in and an check out is laughable.

But keep at it. The repeated denial of reality is always fun to watch unfold.