What is better?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by kamranzahid, Feb 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. kamranzahid

kamranzahid New Member

Status Points:
    Greetings everyone,

I'm new to milepoint. I have a question about something I've given a lot of thought to. I recently went on vacation to Koh Samui, Thailand. I looked at several airlines for routes and fares. The most suitable seemed Qatar Airways (QA). They first fly to Bangkok and from there they have an arrangement with Bangkok Airways (BA) for the connecting flight. It looked like a good choice because it was the cheapest fare and QA is a fantastic airline. But then I looked at fares on the BA website and it was obvious that if I book QA just to Bangkok and separately book BA from BKK to Koh Samui, I'd save a decent amount of money (they have special web promotion rates). So I did that.

After finalizing the booking and purchasing the tickets, I wondered if it was a good idea to do that. What if something went wrong (like the QA flight getting delayed) and I miss my connecting BA flight. I'd have to pay the difference for higher fare seats and I might eventually end up paying about as much as (or more than) what I would have paid by booking only with QA. None of that happened and the trip went smoothly, but I still think about it.

In general, is it a better idea to book with one airline if they are providing a route all the way to your final destination in collaboration with partner airlines? Or is it the same (or makes very little difference) if one plans the way I did? Please also consider the return trip :)

Thanks and regards,
    -- Kamran

WilliamQ likes this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint, Kamran!

Your concern is very much real because I experienced its negative ramifications last month in that very region. I wound up paying more to do REP->BKK->HKG, which were booked separately with different airlines (REP-BKK on Air Asia and BKK-HKG on TG), when the REP-BKK flight got delayed to the point that I would not have made the BKK-HKG flight. When it was clear that I would not make the latter connection, I went to Air Asia and asked that they transfer me to another airline that would allow me to make the connection. Bangkok Air had exactly the flight that allowed me to make the connection. However, by the time I'd paid the change fee and whatever fare difference there was, the cost was more than what it was for my original bookings, which had appeared as though it would have saved me some money. Things would have worked out just fine and I would have saved a bit for the initial separate bookings if the first flight had not gotten delayed...but for the small airlines in the region, that it is a big IF.

So, knowing what I know now, I would not try to save a little bit of money by splitting the reservations between different airlines. It is better to have one airline be responsible...unless one has an extremely long connection time.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
    kamranzahid, WilliamQ and foxberg like this.
  3. kamranzahid

kamranzahid New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your helpful response, NYCUA1K.

I'm sorry you went through exactly the kind of trouble I had feared I might face. But thanks for sharing your experience and advice. I think long-distance air travel itself is stressful enough for people like myself who fly long distances no more than once a year. So we should not make it any more stressful. I mean my sole purpose of travel was to have a fun vacation but it doesn't help if it starts with a restless flight.

WilliamQ likes this.
  4. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP and NYCUA1K's real life and very recent experience needs no further add-ons.

Still, things does not always go sideways and I wish you an enjoyable trip!