What is appropriate compensation for having to sleep in the airport?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by hulagrrl210, Sep 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Premier Gold just flew JFK-SFO. Original 6:35p flight went MX, was able to get on a 9:20 flight but misconnected at SFO. CS was unable to provide a hotel (said they were out of vouchers, but also called 1 or 2 places on my behalf if i was willing to pay and they said all local hotels were full except for the Mark Hopkins in SF- kinda think they were maybe patronizing me at that point.) CS sup was a total a-hole to me and said he was too busy/ nothing they could do and was more concerned about some other MX flight arriving from Maui that hadn't even come in yet (I was the only one in line at the time). Walked off. Offered me a$150 voucher, final answer, which I think is kinda low considering I usually seem to get a $200 one, unsolicited, almost every time I fly these days for this kind of stuff WITHOUT spending the night in any airports. Anyway I'm camping out at SFO as we speak, freezing cold and miserable but way too tired to consider renting a car and driving 2 hours home to SMF right now. Anyway was curious what you guys think is appropriate compensation to ask for in pending "dear customer relations letter" I'm currently sitting on more e-certs than I think I can even spend be cause stuff like this (MX, , cancelations, significant delays) keeps happening to me. Anything else I can ask for? Each time i get an e-cert, i spend it on United and then this happens all over again. Over it. Over them. Pretty sure CoC covers MX delays and hotel policy but it's been a while (2006) since I read it, and don't entirely know my rights. Any guidance, support, kind words appreciated. Mahalo

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow - so sorry to hear that you're stuck sleeping in the airport!:( I don't have any relevant advice to give, but totally agree the $150 sounds rather skimpy, given the situation, & given that the mx is due to delays on a transcon. I'm sure others can offer their opinions based on their experience. Anyway, sending kind thoughts to you!

3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear about your situation and especially sorry to hear about the poor treatment you received. I can't imagine that every hotel in SF was booked full. I would ask for a refund or at least $500.00 for the huge inconvenience and the misery of freezing in the airport.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  4. zippypinhead

zippypinhead Gold Member

Status Points:
    "...Anyway I'm camping out at SFO as we speak, freezing cold and miserable but way too tired to consider renting a car and driving 2 hours home to SMF..."

Not the choice I would've made... but, to each their own.
    If there would've been a connection available to SMF, your travel time most likely would have been longer than two hours.

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I refuse to believe that every hotel was booked. Even though I can see how it might get busy with the Apple announcement booking everything within 200 miles of the Moscone Center.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  6. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I was you I would have took ownership in this quandary and booked myself a hotel after a cursory search online then stuck it to United at their expense but it'd be at my expense in the interim. United Corporate has been pretty good in taking care of the customer at the Executive level if initial resolution was not satisfactory i.e in your case UA did not fulfill the CoC since it was an airline controlled cancellation/delay and you were only offered a meager $150 (not even a meal voucher and et cetera et cetera).

8MiHi likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Naaa. Big conferences like next week's DreamForce with 50k+ attendees fill the hotels, but probably not Apple's product announcement at Yerba Buena Center. After all it's not open to the public, just invited journalists.

I would have probably tried to book an airport hotel online or over the phone and submitted the bill to UA. Without that bill, I am not sure that you can get more than perhaps another voucher or 10,000 RDM...

8. pyndasky

pyndasky Silver Member

Status Points:
    In response to your question, it depends. I've had some surprisingly good times and some extremely miserable times during my overnight airport stays. For the good times, no further compensation necessary (I ain't naming names ;) what happens in EWR, stays in EWR). For the bad times, a lifetime pass for free unrestricted international first class round trip travel, might put a dent in the misery deficit...

9. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Relatively small press conference. Even WWDC only takes up Moscone West.

10. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys. I finally made it home and i'm exhausted! I was really frustrated w/ CS and fully would have taken ownership of the situation and booked my own hotel had there been more than 10% battery left on my iPhone. They didn't even want to help me call around. I admit I was unprepared- planning for a day trip and not taking things like my charger and contact lens solution was just dumb in retrospect. I'll let you know how it pans out. I'm going to go take a nap and then start working on my letter.

IDGflygirl, Flyer1976 and 8MiHi like this.
  11. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Poop happens but at least you have your sanity intact!

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Too late now, but aren't the CS agents supposed to offer phone cards or some other mechanism to make a phone call? Also, I think there are courtesy phones in the baggage claim area that let you call various airport hotels. Could be wrong, though... last time I slept at SFO was in 1989 and that's only because I was a poor starving student.

As for making the trip in a rental car late at night... I was in exactly that same situation during the summer of hell when we misconnected due to whatever. My wife had to be in Sacramento the next morning for work, so I did end up renting a car and driving her. Not fun after a long day, so I totally get your choice to stay overnight.

13. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am sorry that you had to experience our lack of hotel space in SFO. This has been an on going issue that UA has no control over. Trust me, we do search for rooms and will issue a hotel voucher if we can secure one. We do have limits as to which hotels will accept our airline vouchers. I am sorry the supervisor was not more personable. Please remember we can only provide things that we actually have and all the demands, rants, complaints, tears etc does not change the facts. I am not excusing his poor customer service skills but please remember that we do wish to assist you in any way we can but we are not magicians.

HeathrowGuy, 8MiHi, DCA1K and 4 others like this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I suspect it's more a question of how much UA is willing to pay.

What's the official policy when you can't secure a room at one of the properties that takes the vouchers? I hope it's not "you either get a room or you get bupkis". Is it the $150 voucher the OP mentioned?

8MiHi and hulagrrl210 like this.
  15. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA in SFO has a contract with a hotel booking service for the surrounding airport hotels at SFO and now OAK (Oakland). We usually get great rates of under $75 but we have also paid as much as $200. If we can not secure you a room due to lack of space, we will give you a voucher for this customer service failure. I assume that's why the OP received a $150 voucher.

8MiHi and IDGflygirl like this.
  16. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    When we took the bump a few weeks ago, UA did indeed offer a $199 room at the Embassy Suites.

8MiHi likes this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I should contract out my guest room to United. Not much further than Embassy Suites and I might be willing to serve booze and breakfast :)

Ygor, 8MiHi, bmg42000 and 4 others like this.
  18. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's the rack rate? If I ever get stuck in SFO on an NRSA ticket I might pay something reasonable if there's Woodford catered :p.

19. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
  20. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please let us know how this ends up for you.

21. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    You had the perfect situation for Mr. Murphy and his henchman to show up, which they always seem to make an appearance in these situations!!

22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

Don't leave the house without it :)

8MiHi, hulagrrl210, afakhori and 3 others like this.
  23. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm.... Guess I'll write a letter to send via snail mail for each of the six legitimate complaints I have reported via united.com this year which have yet to receive the courtesy of a reply beyond the initial, "We have received your message," email.

I had a baggage issue that went on for two months without resolution and with ongoing frustration resulting from corporate structure issues combined with incompetence. I wrote to the DOT on the 61st day, got a call from the only person in the whole company who could help me a week later, then a follow-up call from United CS today where they acknowledged receipt of the complaint from the DOT and made sure that my issue was resolved. I have yet to receive the money they owe me for two destroyed bags, but it looks like I'll get it within the week. United CS promised a call back next week to make sure that I have been paid.

For the record, this was not one of the six complaints previously placed, but that's because I had given up on writing to them via their system for reporting issues. I can't compare this to PMCO's handling of complaints, as I never had to report one before the merger. I did write a suggestion one time when they were still CO, and I guess that could have been interpreted as a complaint. It was truly just a report on how I thought an avoidable issue could have been handled better. I got a $250 e-cert about a week after writing that one, and it addressed my report specifically. Not a canned response in any way, shape or form. One of the things that made me really comfortable in my having chosen them to replace AA as my airline of choice. I sure miss that.

More on topic... I like NYBanker's idea, but I wouldn't hold my breath even following that advice. I would, however, not rest until I had been compensated to the point that I felt over-entitled. What happened to the OP would have given me an internal meltdown. Unacceptable.

24. EyeOnTheSkies

EyeOnTheSkies Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why not get them to pay for a shuttle up to SMF? Last time I got stuck @ SFO they were willing to pay for a super shuttle to Marin. I know SMF is farther but it seems like a much more logical answer.

25. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Does Supershuttle go to SMF from SFO? With perhaps just one pax? When I tried it on their website it refused to price that route saying they don't offer service from SFO to a Sacramento zip code.