What is an Eligible flight?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by ekilko, Apr 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ekilko

ekilko Silver Member

Status Points:
    So you can get status by claiming eligible flights? I know they say ones that are with a BA flight no or on BA aircraft but are there any restrictions on this. I fly a lot (at least one return a week) of domestic BA or on EI which is BA codeshare - should these count?

2. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can get status by accumulating tier points from flights on which you are awarded tier points. Broadly speaking, these are BA flights and oneworld alliance flights. More details here (see the section "Tier Points translated") and here (about earning on oneworld partners). Use this calculator to find out how many TPs you'll get for any individual flight.

sobore likes this.
  3. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    For BA Status (silver and above) you also need 4 sectors (2 for Bronze) sold under a BA flight number (and a recent amendment these could also be an IB flight number). Flights on EI metal booked as BA flights should count.

The 4 BA/IB sectors do not give status in themselves, but you must have them for any status to count. (So you can't earn all your Executive Club tier points on AA, AY, CX, or QF, for instance).

4. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone been able to figure out the best way to fly these required "eligible" flights from within the US? I have enough tier points for bronze, just need 2 BA/IB flights.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Go to Europe.

6. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Seth, but I said from within the US, lol. The best I've found so far is ANU - SKB.

7. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Neither of those airports is within the US.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I read what you said and understand it completely. The cheapest and easiest way to get those segments from within the USA is to leave the USA. Quite simple, really.

9. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    What do you mean by "best"? You need to get from wherever you are to and from ANU, and then fly BA flights which only operate twice a week and which cost a minimum of about $300 on their own. Given the times of the ANU-SKB-ANU flights, you probably also need at least one hotel night even if you can do ANU-SKB-ANU on the same day.

10. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I said within the US, I meant US origin to US destination. Perhaps I should have said "intra" US...

I was hoping someone had found a way to book a BA ticket say from DFW to IAH without the International segment. ANU - SKB was the closest I could find (to the US). On the plus side, I wouldn't mind spending the weekend in Antigua. ;)

11. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, not possible.

12. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure you'll forgive us, then, for being confused about your wish for "US origin to US destination" when the example you gave had an origin in one non-US country and a destination in a different non-US country.

At least the suggestion made by Wandering Aramean had a US origin rather than a non-US origin.

13. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Of course, my bad on clarity. :)

So indeed, ANU - SKB is most feasible, or I'll just have to long haul it... Sucks, it's for my wife and I'd hate to fly her to LHR and back just for bronze status, lol.

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I know you meant that. I also know that what you wanted is not possible. So I offered you what is the best option available to get the 4 BA-operated segments in a timely and affordable manner: Fly to Europe.

I understand it might not be what you are looking for, but I'm willing to bet it is the best answer you'll get.

15. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Although for malikguy, if Bronze is what is sought then it's only two flights.

In addition, the flights don't necessarily have to be BA-operated. They need to be either operated or marketed by BA. So BA code on non-BA metal will qualify. Also, non-BA code on BA metal will qualify. In all cases, the flight must qualify for BAEC earn in any event (but I'm not sure whether a non-BA marketed code must be OW).

Whether it's worth it for malikguy's wife to do this for Bronze status is a different matter. Bronze gets you virtually nothing, so if she wasn't going to earn it naturally from flying, then it would seem to me to be a lot of effort for almost no reward.

malikguy likes this.