What is a mile run?

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by michael21, Mar 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What exactly is a mile run and how do you do one?

Sorry guys I'm still learning.

Thanks

2. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    A mileage run means taking one or more flights just to collect the frequent flier miles. This is usually done because you are close to one of the elite status levels in a particular frequent flier program and you won't otherwise fly enough miles to get to that level in the time allotted.

To do one, you find a fare that has a very low cost-per-mile. For instance, if you can fly 1,000 miles (and collect 1,000 frequent flier miles) for $100, the cost is $0.10 per mile. For mileage runs I think most people look for a cost below $o.05 per mile and preferably at or below $0.03 per mile. Then you buy the ticket, fly the miles, and make sure that the miles post promptly to your account.

3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    A trip, often contorted, that one takes for the sole purpose of earning miles that count toward attaining a pre-established elite level in an airline loyalty program...

4. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The MilePoint glossary has it as:

A series of flights taken in a very short amount of time, solely for the purpose of accumulating frequent flyer miles, with a blatant disregard for the destinations.

5. Jeff the Wanderer

Jeff the Wanderer Silver Member

Status Points:
    5,280 feet....takes me about 7 minutes.

6. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    www.instantrimshot.com ;)

And to the OP, here's an example....

On Monday 31/9, I'm flying UA:

SFO-JFK 7am-3:30pm
    JFK-SFO 7:pm-10:45pm*

The trip is 2,586 qualifying miles each way so 5,712 towards my 2013 re-qualification. The fare was (round numbers) $220 so 5,172/$220=$.04 cents per mile.

What makes a good cost per mile is different for each individual but there are also other things to factor in such as if you are an elite, what redeemable mile (rdm) bonus do you get from your airline. I'm a 1k with UA so I get a 100% rdm bonus so this trip nets me 5,172 elite qualifying miles (eqm's) and 10,344 rdm's

Then to muddy the water are things like using a dollar voucher you received from a prior flight (bump or "we're sorry" compensation) to reduce the fare cost and not to mention upgrade possibilities But going back to vouchers, I used a $200 voucher on my trip so my net cost for the ticket is $20 which makes the cpm $.004 vs $.04 without the voucher

Clear as mud? ;)

*i wanted the 5:30pm return but it priced out at $400 round trip so but I'll trade 3 1/2 hours at JFK for the eqm's any day ;)

Mikus33 and Jeff the Wanderer like this.
  7. Jeff the Wanderer

Jeff the Wanderer Silver Member

Status Points:
    That site is awesome. I appreciate the few minutes of amusement.

Mikus33, cvsara and goalie like this.
  8. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thread resurrection. My airport is AVL. The next closest airport is GSP which is slightly over an hour away. Both are small airports. I may need to do a run this year and found one I can complete in a day going AVL-ATL-IAD with reverse return. This is 2068 MQMs at $293. If my math is correct that works out to $0.07/mile. This seems to be about the lowest cpm I can get....unless someone else with a little more experience could provide some direction. I was looking at Sep or Oct to complete this.

Edit: okay I need to do math when I am not tired.

9. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    How many miles do you need? Also what benefits do you value most out of status? Small markets can be tough, but big ones can be bad as well - msp for example is an absolute fortress.

10. AA_EXP09

AA_EXP09 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You do one by:
    1) Finding a fare with good routing rules.
    i.e. many AC TATL flights will allow you to make several Canadian domestic connections (and I can live off the Guinness and mediocre food in the MLL)
    2) Finding a mistake fare.
    i.e. JFK-IAD-ORD $10
    3) Dumping YQ
    Look in trick it.

11. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will likely need around 650 miles once I finish a couple of trips. Since I just started pointing my goal for end of the year was to hit silver . I will likely be using rdms for my partner and building status for myself. I eventually would like upgrades for longer hauls.

I looked at that trick it thread......I got a headache.

sobore likes this.
  12. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are some options in latin america or the Caribbean that could be cheaper in CPM, with creative routings. Some may require a stay, though, which can be good or bad.

On the side of valuing FO, assuming you fly at least 25k next year, you gain about 6k skymiles, free EC at checkin, preferred seats, chance for upgrades if you fly at offpeak times, waved bag fees, priority boarding (last 2 you can get via amex as well...). Also better irops handling and Sometimes priority security.

Make sure you'll get enough value out of silver.

In terms of long-haul up-front, really the only useful/affordable way to get there with DL is on awards, unless you want to pay a big cash premium. UA and especially AA are better for 100k flyers in this regard, BA I think is decent for miles upgrades on paid tickets.

13. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don;'t be daft, we are talking 1,760 yards.

mattsteg likes this.
  14. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    So this seems quite different from a mileage run around various ff brokers with a check in hand? :rolleyes:

15. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    What if your age is over 1 year? Wouldn't your mile age run be longer?

Flying Bat likes this.