What is $122 really worth?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by MillionMile, Aug 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MillionMile
    Original Member

MillionMile Active Member

Status Points:
    What is $122 really worth?

So I come to this board to ask the simple question of my fellow milepont members, Air Canada, Star Alliance and Aeroplan, What is $122 really worth? While it is true that I have not weighed in on all the threads about who’s leaving AC, the devaluation of status, IKK, add on fees for Aeroplan redemptions, non personalized luggage tags etc. etc. I had remained loyal to AC while reading all these posts. But today I find myself totally disillusioned with Air Canada.

A bit about myself:
    I’m Super Elite. I’ve racked up some 1.6 million miles on Star Alliance planes since Canadian folded. This year I’ve accumulated 112,000 miles as of June. I have 160 e-upgrades as I only buy Z or J, and the tickets purchased this year so far are worth $40K. During those 1.6 million miles I’ve never had a claim for lost or damaged baggage. Nor have I complained to Air Canada about any past issues or asked for any compensation.

The History:
    In June I had a flight to Bangkok. AC01 to NRT and AC6241 to BKK. My flight is delayed from 2:05 to 3:45 then 4:45 with an eventual departure of 5:30. I never received a call from AC telling me my flights were delayed, even thought I thought as Super Elite I would have and I would have at least expected a call from a Concierge regarding my flights, but no call was received at home, work or cell. So I end up with a 4 hour wait in the lounge and I arrive in Tokyo 25 minutes after my second re-booked connection UA837 has departed. I’m greeted at the door of the plane by a Concierge, who whisks me off to a Delta flight DL283 leaving in 20 minutes. I arrive in Bangkok, but my checked luggage does not make it. I receive my luggage next day at 8pm, but it has been opened, riffled through and the Intercompany package is opened and $122 in money has been stolen, most likely by customs.

I call the SE desk and they inform me that there is nothing they can do as it is the last carrier that is responsible, so I call Delta. Delta denies any responsibility. I then e-mail the Super Elite e-mail and receive an e-mail saying they are aeroplan and I need to Fax or e-mail Calgary Air Canada Customer Relations. I e-mail Air Canada and they again say speak to Delta, Delta again denies responsibility and says speak to Air Canada, Then Air Canada says speak to American Express, American Express says it’s Air Canada that should handle the complaint, Air Canada finally says that it can at least credit my status miles for NRT to BKK on Delta, then Aeroplan refuses to credit my miles after Air Canada asks to have them credited saying I was not on the flight. I e-mail Air Canada and finally aeroplan credits the miles. American Express says It will investigate the missing money and I come to the conclusion that this triangle of finger pointing is not worth my time and they are using each other to avoid dealing with a very simple issue.

The one and only other time that Air Canada has delayed my flight I ended up being bumped to an Air France flight in Paris and my baggage was delayed 30 hours in getting to Zurich and I made no claim. So why would a business not pay out $122 as a good will gesture to appease a loyal customer?
    So I started to ponder the universally known theory that it costs 10 times more to acquire a new customer than to keep a current customer, so I assume that Air Canada has chosen to lose a $70,000 plus annual revenue customer for $122
    Then there is the other theory that a satisfied customer tells three friends, angry customers tell 3,000. So to that end, Air Canada has succeeded in started this post for $122.

Finally I read about how Transport Canada has ruled
    “The Canadian Transportation Agency released a decision Tuesday declaring Air Canada's international baggage liability rule unreasonable, and ordered that Air Canada replace it within 10 days.
    Gabor Lukacs, 29, an assistant professor of mathematics at the University of Manitoba, had asked for a review of a policy which said Air Canada couldn't be held liable for valuables such as money and jewelry in passengers' checked baggage on certain itineraries.
    The agency found it was unreasonable for Air Canada to have a blanket exclusion of liability.”

So what is $122 really worth?

Well I now realize that after a month’s time and not a single phone call to discuss my issues with only e-mail rejections and finger pointing that I am not valued for my loyalty. That unlike my industry where we talk to our best customers and try and resolve issues, none of these companies care about my history with them and have basically said they do not value my business or my loyalty. And finally that this $122 dollars is worth the rest of this year’s $30,000 dollars worth of travel plans that will now go to another alliance.

So in closing I would like to say, Congratulations and good work to Air Canada and Aeroplan. That $122 is the straw that broke the camel’s back, and now you and everyone knows what $122 is really worth, $70k in lost annual business. I’ve now flown Cathy Pacific and while I prefer the pods, the cost was more than 1K less. I still get Lounge access because I’m flying J, I still get priority boarding, I get somewhat priority check-in due to J class, the FA’s were friendlier and by December I will have Emerald Status.

Bye Bye AC

Exit Row, milestoburn, UA191 and 3 others like this.
  2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see you posted this message on the AC forum on Flyer Talk. AC has a FT lurker Andrew Yiu and perhaps he will take up your cause.

I agree that you have been bantied from pillar to post. As a high revenue passenger, AC should have been more proactive in addressing your concerns. It is too late now and the AC bottom line will now reflect 42K less.

UA191 likes this.
  3. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    At the end of the day, you are right that companies only care about profits. The problem is that most are not intelligent enough to understand what they are doing nor are they aware of what is happening in public forums like these. Unfortunately, that is unlikely to change since the ability to make smart decisions from the front lines is not how most companies are designed.

UA191 likes this.
  4. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm really sorry that happened to you. I had a similar experience with United (although I am not that high in their program). I misconnected in Hong Kong due to mechanical, was not provided a hotel and barely compensated (I later had my way with customer relations). I was rebooked to Singapore on Cathay Pacific the next day and my bags were lost. United didn't want to have anything to do with my claim, but Cathay surprisingly stepped up and gave me a 100 Singapore Dollars cash without hesitation (which was less than the 100 USD I was entitled to from United, but nonetheless I really appreciated the gesture) I'm sorry Delta didn't do the same for you, and AC demonstrated they are just stupid for not taking better care of such a loyal high revenue customer, but neither of them surprise me. The "triangle of finger pointing" just demonstrated, unfortunately, how too many companies choose to do business these days.

It sounds like from you post that you were already a little disenchanted with AC, and I truly wish you the best of luck with Cathay. I think you made a good move. The one time I flew with them, I was really impressed. They are a very nice airline. I similarly dream of leaving *A and United, and I almost did after what happened to me. Your case though seems a lot worse than mine- I eventually got my bags, nothing was missing and United (eventually) provided me with enough compensation to keep me around a little bit longer.

Gargoyle likes this.
  5. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dump AC. By all means. But remember: you put $122 into your checked luggage despite repeated notices we all know well about checking money, jewelry, computers, cameras and other valuables. In that category I would also place corporate papers. Not to mention you are traveling to a country where border/customs authorities are notorious for their dishonesty. Dump American Express too, though you're not clear on how they are involved, unless you used their card for the ticket and thus can claim some expenses for your delayed bag. (Reading the follow up post on FT you there explain Amex is you travel agent. You or your company pay them a fee to work on your behalf, so they should be pursuing these matters with various parties, not you.)

Operationally, AC got you onto another flight to get you to your destination within a few hours of your original arrival time. AC's operational delay was not explained by you to us. Was it mechanical...well then better to go with a fixed airplane and be late than go with a broken plane and maybe never arrive! It's safety that's AC's primary concern. As for not getting a call from the SE desk or AC, you got a call from Amex, your travel agent. That's what TAs are there for. Until you start your travels, airlines defer all such matters to your TA because you've hired them to be your AGENT and thus to communicate to you on the airline's behalf.

As for your bag, AC got you onto the next flight to your destination, but locating your checked bag and getting it redirected in time for the DL departure proved physically impossible, but it was put on another flight and you did received it within 24-hours. As I noted, you were flying to a country notorious for theft and bribery and you still packed valuables in that bag.

Actually, aside from the issue of posting AE miles for the DL flight, I can't see what AC did wrong?

7. OneSweetWorld
    Original Member

OneSweetWorld Silver Member

Status Points:
    If companies don't value your service, then dump them. I was with Paypal for 10 years, and got hit with a chargeback after I had already shipped my item. Paypal refused to cover any of the charge back, so I said I will never use Paypal again. Plain and simple.

8. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    OP provided an interesting situation and I would love to open this part up for discussion.......................

the flight was delayed due to ash clouds a few days earlier, travelled around the world 1 time (if i vaguely recall, its something like YYZ-YVR-SYD-YVR-YYZ-LHR-YYZ) and trying to work through the backlog to recover its schedule.

guess my question is, AC management had sufficient time redeploy their equipment in YVR/YYZ or to work some operational changes..... then shouldnt this become an AC controllable delay?

9. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    i love one here is laying blame on you for putting the money there in the first place...nice...

personally, i would not contact Andrew and not post on FT. if AC reads your issues here, perhaps they might do something.

sadly, AC will careless about your 30K loss in business. THEY DO NOT CARE. that pretty much sums up why they have not put in any effort in your case.

10. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exit Row likes this.
  11. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    AC does not read this forum.

12. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    The other variety are also present there....and even here. ;)

Exit Row likes this.
  13. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    they do not publically state they read this forum is more accurate.

14. Exit Row
    Original Member

Exit Row Silver Member

Status Points:
    Milchap, do you know that for sure? They could be lurking, no?

milestoburn likes this.
  15. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not certain....but I was told that they were not getting involved with MP. Six months ago AC was lobbied to come over here and the reception was very tepid. They became very gun shy after the Dec-Jan discussions on FT.
    As for lurking, who knows with AC !

milestoburn likes this.
  16. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will give you that....but they don't seem to care about MP.

milestoburn likes this.
  17. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    yet.
    clearly they are here...or else AC really does have their head in the sand.

Exit Row and milchap like this.
  18. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    we are talking about an airline not known for good communication with its FFs :eek:

Exit Row and milestoburn like this.
  19. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    sooo agreed.

milchap likes this.
  20. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why should they? The post OP started here is there as well.:oops:

21. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do not buy it at all.
    You need to know how and when to talk to airlines.Recent snafu was exceptionally well handled once note sent to proper personnel.

22. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    It only took 44 days to resolve according to OP. :eek:

milestoburn likes this.
  23. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    Like I said,you need to talk to the right person

24. Exit Row
    Original Member

Exit Row Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you suggesting it was the OP's job to research Air Canada's employee database and figure out who to talk to? Shouldn't a CSR be able to handle a customer's issue and escalate it for him/her? That's how businesses with good customer service work.

mevlannen and milchap like this.
  25. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's my take on it as well. I've had mixed results with AC customer service. Understandably, the wheels do tend to fall off when IRROPS strike, but even then, I've noticed that some of the front-line people do go the extra mile.

Now, on the other hand, I really could do without the long waits on hold when I am trying to sort out a redemption hassle --- but that's another topic entirely. Gin, please!