What if One Passenger Sharing a Star Award PNR Doesn't Make It?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Explore, Aug 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    Finding two incredibly hard-to-find NZ C award seats from AKL to SFO on the same flight, I booked both, failing to request 2 PNRs. My wife and mother will be traveling. But my mom may need to return later. UA says they can't split the PNR without releasing the award seats, risking the possibility they won't go back into inventory or that they may be snapped up by someone else within minutes. UA says the only thing to do is for one passenger to simply not show up, in which case I can get the miles back for that traveler. But since you're supposed to cancel Star Alliance awards 24 hours in advance, I question whether the miles really would be returned. Any thoughts?

2. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your question seems to be answered in the following post, however the rules that I researched last night specifically state that partner airlines DO NOT permit splitting PNR's, and a complete cancellation is required to rebook. Some agents may have the golden touch, so you may want to call back and give it another try or two!

Just not showing up and assuming that you will get your miles re-credited is NOT a chance that I would take, and I especially wouldn't take the word of any res agents theory or shoot from the hip advice to do just that.

Airlines, especially partner airlines, take a dim view of award travelers holding a seat that they could sell, no-showing, and then asking for their miles back.

If it were me and I couldn't split the PNR, on the first few tries, I think I would think very long and hard about "Just not showing up"!

It would be appreciated if you would let us know what finally happens!

3. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have split the pnr on a partner award many times without issue only once did I have to call back.

druiddation likes this.