What if I need to cancel the hotel stay portion of a miles and nights redemption?

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by jfhscott, Dec 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm contemplating a miles and nights redemption (300,000 miles for 7 nights at a cat 6 and 120,000 miles).

I've never booked (much less cancelled) an award night, and I was wondering what happens if I need to cancel the hotel portion of such a redemption.

I'd appreciate information.

2. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can get some (but not all) of the points you redeemed for the room portion back. I'm not sure what the current "refund" is, but it's not the whole 180,000. (If it were, you'd be able through "recycling" to redeem scads of MR points for miles on a "1 for 1" ratio, which could give a Platinum an effective mileage earning rate of 20 airline miles per dollar spent at a Marriott property.)

jfhscott likes this.
  3. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is obviously fair.

And I don't know that I will need it, but want to understand the parameters.

Counsellor likes this.
  4. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    A little more information:

The hotel portion is good for a year, so you could cancel a reservation and the free nights (electronic) certificate would remain in your account available for use until it expires.

and -- you can extend it one year by calling Marriott, so effectively you have two years to use the free hotel nights. Some folks say they have been able to get an additional extension to yet a third year, but I haven't had to do that.

And finally, some have said they were able to "pay" extra miles to upgrade the free nights to a higher category hotel (e.g., from cat 6 to cat 7).

In any event, as you can see, there is plenty of flexibility if you really want to use the "nights" part of the award.