What I need to know about my luggage when bumped?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Beachgirl07, Mar 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Beachgirl07

Beachgirl07 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it better for me to just have a carry on bag to get bumped?

2. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Different airlines have different practices, so it might help if we knew which airline you're flying.

My experience has been that their "bump list" (voluntary denied boarding -- not the involuntary list) is usually set based on the time you notify the counter that you want to volunteer, and the status you have with that airline. For example, United usually would accept an elite request to be bumped even if the request came in at the last minute over one from a non-elite who had volunteered early in the check-in process. That said, however, much depends on what they want (one group of 4 might solve a lot of problems even if other single flyers had volunteered earlier) and how much time they have.

In a nutshell, however, it depends on a lot of things, but if it were me, I'd volunteer early and be sure to mention that I had no checked luggage (if that's the case). You might be a bit more desirable in getting the plane out on time than the volunteer who would require them to retrieve luggage already loaded. It certainly wouldn't hurt to mention it, but I can't say it would necessarily be dispositive.

Beachgirl07 likes this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen them put my name on the list higher or lower than other people based on what I tell them about my luggage situation, so I know that it plays a part. After all, not having to call to get the luggage unloaded makes a difference.

I usually approach the podium as early as possible when the gate agent doesn't look busy and I tell them that if they need volunteers I'd like to be on the list, how many of us and which seats and that we don't have any checked luggage.

I've given up on actively looking for the bump-friendly flights though mostly because nowadays I have to get to where I'm going on time. :)

Beachgirl07 likes this.
  4. Beachgirl07

Status Points:
    awesome thanks :)

5. Beachgirl07

Status Points:
    How likely would they need four volunteers? I am new at the miles and points game.

6. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Look at the load list before you go to the airport, and tell the GA as soon as you get there.

I always know where the empty seats are before we board.

It pay to be prepared, just like in the Boy Scouts.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It will vary widely based on airline, route, date and other factors. Odds are quite high that they will NOT need four volunteers on any given flight. Overwhelmingly unlikely. But it can happen.

Passengers without checked bags are easier to bump. That makes it more likely that the agent will take you. Passengers who can be easily accommodated (no hotel, seats available to get them to their final destination in a timely manner, etc.) are also be more likely to be accepted as VDB volunteers.

And United no longer uses status as part of the VDB process; the note above is out of date in that context.