What I Like/Don't Like About Booking On Starwood's Site

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Zomby Woof, Sep 19, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    Like: I can book awards more that 1 year in advance. Can't do this with Hilton or Marriott. Just got the Western Grand in Munich Sept 30 to Oct 3 for Oktoberfest for 10K points per night.

Dislike: About half of the time the site gives me an error and I have to call. Frequently I go through the whole procedure and when I finally hit Book, I get a page stating a system error has occurred, please try again later. For this latest booking, I got to step 2 to review but there was no button to go to the final step. Tried with latest Firefox and Safari.

Sammich and sendaiben like this.
  2. lcpteck

lcpteck Silver Member

Status Points:
    I never had a problem with booking, guess I'm lucky.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't say that I have booked often with them, it no errors.

But thanks for the 1year+ tip!

Counsellor, Sammich and sendaiben like this.
  4. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    I book 30+ stays a year on the Starwood website (or app) and I've never had a problem like what you describe.

Thomask likes this.
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also its not at all true that its not possible book more than year out on the Hilton site. Just after seeing this post I was modifying a reservation on Hilton.com and as a lark and to reconfirm my previous experiences I put in a date of Feb 15 2016 and was able to complete the booking (which I cancelled)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  6. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't had any issues booking through starwood's website. For booking in advance it depends on the specific hotel and not just the website I think.

newbluesea likes this.
  7. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    I tried to look at availability in Munich and the farthest it let me search was Sept 19, 2015. Maybe you can do 1+ year out for reservation modifications.

8. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe the starwood site just hates my guts :(

9. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also find their site one of the most reliable direct Hotel booking sites. It almost always works, I get very few error messages and I like the SPG customer-support. They get back to me quickly.

10. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope my test booking was not for the same hotel I was modifying my reservations for.

In any event I just checked all three HH Munich hotels and I was able to see rates for dates well past January 2016.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    II wish it were possible to compare more than three (when you're forced to show a standard best available general rate) or four rates simultaneously. I wish the calendars showed days when the speccial package or promo rate is available at the lowest level. I wish I didn't have to go to the hotel's own website to see all available offers.

Zomby Woof likes this.