What Hyatt do you find surprisingly pleasant/likely to exceed expectations?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by jfhscott, Jun 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I won't ask what the "best" Hyatt is, and there is generalized consensus about the answer, with the usual suspects - PH Vendome, PH Tokyo, PH Sydney, etc., typically being mentioned.

I ask, what Hyatt is a sleeper, so to say, providing more than one might anticipate.

For me, it is certainly the Boston Harborside Hyatt at Logan - one might expect it to be a run of the mill airport hotel. It is typically my first night stay whenever I go to Boston. It is clean, rooms are pleasant, and the diamond breakfast buffet is excellent. Also, it is one of the only places I go for the diamond amenity. The local cheese and fruit platter is very good, with generous helpings.

In the summer, taking breakfast outside, looking across the harbor to the Boston skyline is a wonderful experience, and the water taxi stop is 100 yards from the back entrance to the hotel. Even though I have stayed perhaps 10 times, it continues to exceed expectations.

LIH Prem, sobore and uggboy like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Over the years, I've always thought that the Hyatt Regency Chicago is an awfully good big convention hotel.

The Bellvue in downtown Philadelphia is a historic property with cool rooftop restaurant and bar. The smoke salmon amenity is good. There's also an undocumented tiny lounge for good coffee and 24/7 small snacks, with no morning or evening F&B service.

sobore and uggboy like this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The Hyatt Regency Bellevue is a huge convention hotel made surprisingly nice by (1) pretty good club lounge with excellent coffee and even better staff, (2) across the street from a decent wine bar, (3) across the street from Din Tai Fung dumpling house!!

4. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    That lounge is no longer in operation - I stayed there early May.

LIH Prem and uggboy like this.
  5. Theweeklyflyer
    Original Member

Theweeklyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where to start....

Park Hyatt Buenos Aires
    Hyatt Huntington Beach
    Hyatt Aruba
    Hyatt Lake Tahoe
    Hyatt 48 Lex

All depends on what you are looking for.

6. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Hyatt Place Charlotte Airport has free wifi and a nice snack area.:D

LIH Prem, maradori and uggboy like this.
  7. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    and the wifi actually works well!

LIH Prem, uggboy and Gtitan like this.
  8. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would have to say the Hyatt in VAncouver. We recently stayed there for a week and it surpassed my expectations.

I had read online a few complaints such as the elevator system is a bit funky, but it turned out I loved the elevator system and wish all hotels used it. It was my birthday during our stay, we did not mention it to the hotel, however DH went to the Concierge to arrange flowers for me, and later in the day they sent us complimentary champagne and chocolate dipped strawberries. Our stay was a mix of paid and free nights. We used a suite upgrade on the paid nights and on the free credit card nights they allowed us to stay for no extra cost in the suite. We were troubled one night by a party in the room above at 3 am. Next morning when we went to the front desk to check if they were checking out the front desk agent immediately told us they were aware of the issue and gave us a free breakfast.

So overall what we were expecting to be an average stay was turned into an exceptional stay mainly due to the attitude of the staff. Every staff member we interacted with were helpful and positive.

LIH Prem, Scottrick and uggboy like this.
  9. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree, the Hyatt in downtown Vancouver is one that I frequent a lot that I feel doesn't getthe publicity it deserves. The lounge people are excellent.

10. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sacramento. I stayed there as I had a meeting nearby and I was expecting an old, tired, business hotel.

The staff in Sacramento are great and the place is recently rennovated. Total sleeper.

11. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    As far as *favorite* Hyatt is concerned, I have to go with PH Beijing. It certainly exceeded my expectations. It is a reason to return to Beijing.

12. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    The Park Hyatt Aviara has gotten past some opening problems and is a flawless luxury experience. Absolutely love the place

13. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    For us, the Grand Hyatt Dubai exceeded our expectations. We expected it to be not as good as the Park but, although the ambience is different, the service was far better.

14. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had good service at the Park Hyatt Zurich and Grand Hyatt Kauai.

15. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I have to add the GH Kauai. It was my wife and my 40th anniversary. Sent a note to the GM. When we arrived we received the following:
    1. Upgrade to ocean front (Club) room
    2. Bottle of champagne
    3. TWO Tiffany champagne glasses
    4. Fruit plate
    5. "Wedding cake" that was fabulous. Even decorated with "Ruby" as it symbolizes the 40th anniversary.

My wife thought this was very much "over the top" for any hotel - and I am a lowly Platinum.

I know everyone goes to Hawaii for their anniversary / wedding so I did not expect much, especially since we were staying on POINTS, but they did much more than anyone could expect. We also stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa (where I am DIAMOND) and they did nothing special for our anniversary. What a comparison.

16. MilePointInformed
    Original Member

MilePointInformed Silver Member

Status Points:
    Andaz Wall Street fan here.Great team,excellent recognition nice rooms
    Dining for breakfast or dinner can be highly challenging a new chef is in order and I hear they are working on it
    They need to stop trying to be so different and just execute highy quality food and desserts

LIH Prem, 737823 and uggboy like this.
  17. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think Harborside is a good choice, but for me, I have to go with SFO. The staff there is great, has reached out to me in many ways. One day I was making a remark to an employee in the elevator about how my room was so far from the elevator and I hated that, and he figured out who I was and reached out to me by email, turns out he was the rooms exec manager. I have a ton of stays there (great corp rate) and he made sure my rooms from then on have been in my preferred location. On my last stay there this week, he made sure my room had upgraded amenities. Between Alex and FDC Anna at SFO, it's my favorite regular "go to" Hyatt property. Under the last and current GM, this property has improved quite a bit.

Now, if they only added lox to their morning RC spread ... :)

-David

Toula, kw335 and uggboy like this.
  18. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Park Hyatt Dubai has convinced me that there are Hyatt properties worth bothering to stay at. Not a sleeper, granted, but my Hyatt experience had always been so meh before. (And I'm not a frou-frou hotel person.)

Alternator and Toula like this.
  19. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had a great stay here recently. I used award nights and was told resort fee was not included. I didn't argue it there but I did confirm that was incorrect and had the charges removed.

LIH Prem likes this.
  20. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    The HR Vancouver is pretty good with a great location. Employees remembered me by name and the location was good. Food was iffy, but most hotels are hit and miss on breakfast menus when they try to go beyond bacon and eggs.

LIH Prem and Toula like this.
  21. 737823

737823 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Andaz Wall St and Park Hyatt Seoul for me. Great staff at Andaz Wall Street and Park Hyatt Seoul.

LIH Prem likes this.
  22. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As far as most likely to exceed expectations while not being a Park Hyatt:

Grand Hyatt Seattle staff is exceptionally attentive and the staff is also cognizant to room assignments for elites.
    Hyatt Regency Lexington (Kentucky, that is) was staffed and had amenities that exceeded my expectations.

LIH Prem likes this.
  23. shinbal

shinbal Member

Status Points:
    I love the Hyatt Logan at BOS. Always exceptional service.
    Hyatt 48 Lex has become my new favorite property in NYC. It's delightfully QUIET. It looks like it was originally set up to be an Andaz, but it's just a "Hyatt" with no Grand or Regency tag to it.
    Andaz London. Excuse me, Mr. Hyatt, can I retire there please? I never want to leave.
    Park Hyatt Buenos Aires....WOW. Just WOW.
    Hyatt Century Plaza, LA - I'm not sure they've ever said "NO" to a request, like ridiculously early check-in, etc.

Tenmoc and LIH Prem like this.
  24. 737823

737823 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have to disagree with you here. The staff didn't seem with it to me during my two night stay in April, the rooms are a bit on the small side (even considering this they are in NYC) for the price, and the elevators are slow and inefficient. There a very few rooms on each floor (5-6 IIRC) so expect loonnnnggg elevator wait times as the hotel has 2 passenger elevators for 20+ floors. Overall design seems cheap to me, they definitely cut a few corners during construction. Perhaps this place can be justified as a Category 4, but for me the Andaz Fifth Ave or Wall St are both much better values all around.

25. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hyatt McDonald Lodge for peaceful setting in a hugely commercialized area, with a pleasant staff and a quirky breakfast
    Hyatt BOS Harborside for a spectacular view both day and nigh, and a check-in staff that makes you feel welcomet
    Hyatt Key West for one of the best breakfasts around (no buffet here, everything is cooked to order,) with a sparkling, sunny view...especially in say...February!