What Hotel Seattle?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by jason8612, Jun 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will be July 7th in Seattle for 1 night.
    I have PC Plat
    SPG Gold
    Hilton Gold

Looks like I have a choice of HI, HIX, doubletree, W and sheraton HI and HIX are cheaper, but is doubletree or sheraton really like $100+ better?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Sheraton near convention center is quite decent; I stayed there several years ago for a medium-sized meeting. I like their artwork, primarily a collection of Chiluly glass. IIRC the W is located down the hill near the water, which is good for some tourist activities (art museum) but not for other things. IMO the W is not one of the most appealing Ws, it seems older and in a not very interesting building that looks older than the hotel but still modern, certainly no classic or historic.

Unfortunately I can't picture any of the other hotels on your list.

Surely part of the decision depends on whether you need night/stay credits for status. If you're leaving Seattle late in the day, the guaranteed 4 pm check out time for SPG Golds and Plats is a huge advantage IME.

3. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Holiday Inn and HIX are located a mile or so north of the CBD near the Space Needle (also adjacent to a busy expressway.) You're out of the free bus zone, and there are relatively few restaurants close by.

I assume you're looking at the Doubletree Arctic Club, which is a classy old office building that's been adapted for hotel use. It's in the office core a few blocks from the commercial center, but one advantage is that it's maybe 100' from the Pioneer Square light rail station, so 35 min. and $3 from the airport, not too bad.

I just checked the downtown Crowne Plaza (another HI chain) but they appear to be sold out on the 7th.

Before booking the Sheraton (which is a fine hotel) I'd check out one the indies, the Mayflower Park, which is very well located (also next to a light rail station) and often beats the chains on price. Excellent place. http://www.mayflowerpark.com/

4. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at the Holiday Inn there before. It's right behind the Holiday Inn Express and there's a Hyatt Place a block away. It does have a restaurant but it's not open all day. I plotted it out on Google Earth and it's 9/10th of a mile from 5th and Pine which would be in the center of the city and offer access to Westlake Station for transit to the airport. For me that's about a 15 minute walk, though not sure even I'd want to do that stretch after midnight (I'm generally in by 11).

If you're looking for somewhere for dinner I've gone in the direction of the Queen Anne neighborhood before. Last trip I had Thai at Phuket (Yelp reviews). It's 1.1 miles from the hotel in a different direction than downtown and is a pretty lively neighborhood.

If you do end up out here I would print maps if you don't have access to a device with maps.

5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    A vote for the doubletree (Arctic Club)- beautiful building and quite a convenient location.
    If you are going to spend a lot of money on a hotel (you mentioned $100 more)- go for the Four Seasons- one of the best in the USA.

6. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you want to enjoy night life, Belltown is hopping with lots of restaurants to choose from, (from 1st Ave East to 4th, from Stewart to Denny Way) then going with HI, HIX or Hyatt Place would be a good choice. If you want further downtown, closer to pioneer square then the Double Tree (old artic club would be good). I have stayed at both the Four Seasons and at the Mayfair, both are really nice, although the Mayfair is a bit closer to Belltown.

And, for totally off the wall, if you do not need to be downtown, the cedarbrook lodge near the airport has extremely good reviews: http://www.cedarbrooklodge.com/

7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure of your price point, but you might also consider the Fairmont Olympic hotel. This property, the Grande Dame hotel of Seattle, used to be flagged as Four Seasons and is one of the nicer Fairmonts in the US.

I prefer the new FS (very contemporary, versus the Olympic which is traditional), but if you like Grande Dame hotels, the Olympic is one of the best in the country.

I number of my friends really enjoy the Hotel 1000 as well, which is just a few blocks from the FS. I've only been to the lobby, however.