What has better first class? ORD-SFO

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by michael21, Jan 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi there-there seems to be 2 options going from ORD-sfo on united first class. The airbus 319/320 and the Boeing 757-200...which one of these is a better hard product-seat mainly?

It seems there are no personal TVs??

What's the best first class option Chicago to San Fran on united?

Thanks

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same seat on those planes; no real difference in IFE, service or comfort.

3. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Virgin America, unless you can score a UA/AA longhaul plane. ;)

(And yes, I know I selectively edited that.)

4. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I fund the lcds on airbus to be subpar, bad angles and seem to go down allot more then the giant crts

5. emwitty

emwitty Silver Member

Status Points:
    The seat comfort and size are pretty much identical despite the fuselage on the 757 being slightly narrower.

These being equal I think I would always choose the 757. It's my favorite narrowbody. Often when boarding, you can have the satisfaction of turning to the left when everyone else turns to the right, assuming a typical Door 2 boarding. Personally, I also prefer the larger FC cabin of the 757. For whatever reason, it seems to build a better community. I also try to fly it as often as I can (domestically) because I'm going to miss it when it's gone.

chrislacey, BuckleandBoots and skyvan like this.
  6. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a marked difference between the two, despite what others have said.
    During boarding on the 757 you get to go left while on the A320 you go right with everyone else. This also means people from coach don't walk through the F cabin on the 757 as much, and coach does not transit it when boarding. Unless of course you get unlucky and they board from the front door instead of the second door.

But in flight, it's all the same, in fact service might be slower on the 757 since the cabin is larger.

EDIT: DOH just realized emwitty said exactly the same thing.

traveltoomuch, chrislacey and emwitty like this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Do you really find that the ew minutes of boarding makes a "marked difference" on a 4 hour flight? Plus there is the part where there are no guarantees of boarding via 2L. And it can lead to slower deplaning, too. There is more overhead space in F on the 752 but that wasn't one of the criteria the OP mentioned. And if you board first and don't have a huge bag the impact there should be minimal.

The 752 is aa ridiculously over-engined plane and fun to fly on IMO, but the actual passenger experience on the two is nearly identical IME.

emwitty and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 757 is by far my favorite narrow-bodied plane in service today.

I'm usually the first or last pax to board. When I get on first, when 2L is used, it makes the forward cabin much more pleasant - compared to having 130+ people walk through over the course of 25 minutes. The on-the-ground experience is much more pleasant.

When boarding last, if a 2L boarding, there's a decent shot there will still be room in the overhead lockers in F...versus 1L or A320, where invariably that late in the process, the F lockers are often taken.

The optimal is 2L boarding and 1L exiting. :)

skyvan likes this.
  9. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    To put a contrary perspective, for that is what this board is all about, I find the A320, as the more modern plane, slightly more pleasant inside than the 757 which, in my view, is now seriously dated. But these are marginal considerations, particularly compared with the horror shows of CO's 737 fleet.

10. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're in F on a 319, you pretty much have a single FA for the 8 of you. On the other hand, if you're on a 757 in the first few rows, you are far from the unclean masses, and the lav at the front of Y really helps with said masses trying to come up to F to pee. Your overall inflight experience will probably be similar on either, as long as they board the cocktail shakers and the caviar cart. (or lack thereof).

11. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Horror show? How so?

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Personal IFE and power on most aircraft, I suppose. :rolleyes:

bmg42000 likes this.
  13. CGK
    Original Member

CGK Gold Member

Status Points:
    And an ever increasing number of them with E+.

14. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wanted to dust this old thread off and broaden it. We will be traveling from the San Francisco Bay Area (SFO, SMF, OAK) to Chicago periodically is there any consensus on which airline and planes provide the most comfortable first or business class service non-stop?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  15. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'd be better off with Virgin America or American Airlines if you're looking for First/Business Class these days between the Bay Area and Chicago.

brodyf and Lighthouse like this.
  16. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any particular planes or strategy on American? They used to have rather old planes/equipment. Have they greatly improved?

17. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA has been phasing out the MD-80s with new B737s. AA claims there's a new plane delivered every day.

What I would say about UA equipment:
    - A319 and 320s look fresher than the 757s. I like the 757s roominess better. Seats (hard product) are the same on all three.
    - The CO 737s are dark and boxy to me, and it feels like a longer flight. If you're into TV, then get one of those planes.
    - I like the Airbus and 757 seats better than the CO 737 seats.

Going back to AA: some people, including me, like the quietness of F on the MD80s. No question they are smaller and feel more cramped than any of the UA planes (including the CO 737s). Big advantage on AA is how you're likely going to get wi-fi on your flight, whereas UA only has it for about 30% of its fleet right now. And even if it's equipped, it doesn't necessarily mean it's working. Every AA wi-fi equipped plane has worked for me.

Lighthouse likes this.
  18. mre5765

mre5765 Silver Member

Status Points:
    757 might have power (empower on sUA boats) and with more seats. The A320 is often swapped for an A319 and so unless you are a GS, you will lose your seat.

Unless you want wifi, fly the 757. You always fly the plane with more premium seats, period.

Lighthouse likes this.
  19. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't flown American in the last two decades so I'm not really in a position to say but based from the reviews and Trip Reports I would go with their modern Boeing 737-800s. The hard product is excellent for a flight of that length and AA's catering is more diverse than UA's catering these days according to the Trip Reports.

Lighthouse likes this.
  20. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew SFO-ORD in an internationally configured 757 the other day. It was a great lie flat bed product, but the food was regular domestic F as expected. Beyond the hard product, you should make sure the carrier you're choosing also has a soft product to your liking. Beyond having lie flats I like the international 757 over their domestic bird...the cabin seems newer/more fresh. I'm not a fan of the non-lie flat 757 seat; I find the seats on the 737s in F better.

Lighthouse likes this.
  21. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I was on paid fares and not worried about upgrade games, I'd fly VX without even a second thought. I probably would even enjoy VX Main Cabin Select more than the current UA offerings up front. I have no opinion of the AA product.

22. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    We also like the FC cabin in the 757 much more.

On the AirBus planes, it's nearly impossible to get pre-flight beverage service (I really feel for the FA's trying to do so). Life just seems much more relaxed in the front of the 757's. However, on our routes, we are seeing fewer, as the fleet gets a major makeover.

emwitty and Lighthouse like this.
  23. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    One per week, not per day. :-:
    The hard product - the seat - is not all that different from UA's various options IMO. And I was on it a few weeks ago BNA-LAX. Pre-ordering meals on AA is nice but I've never really expected those to be any good anyways and I've yet to be disappointed given that level of expectations.

VX offers more space/recline but at a premium price and no real chance at free upgrades. Then again, I wouldn't expect too many on UA either unless you're buying near full-fare. And AA has no free upgrades except for EXPs.

Lighthouse likes this.