What happens when you write the CEO of AA

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by estnet, Feb 22, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    You get an email from customer relations - which says how much they value your business and
    1) Gets all the basic facts wrong (downgraded from first to business "we understand you could be upset about being downgraded from business to coach")
    Tells you that you are waitlisted for the proper class (partner awards can't be waitlisted the liason has to call and ask them to open space)

2) Doesn't even address the main issue that a ticket that was issued months ago (and to which I received an email about 3 days before the cancellation about a 2 minute schedule change) had a flight cancelled and rebooked (into a lower class) and I RECEIVED NO NOTIFICATION I happened to discover this 2 weeks after the change by accident so lost 2 weeks of time when I could have been looking for alternatives - AND the liaison didn't do anything until at least a week after I found out and asked them to do something. No proactive acts at all

UA can change the itinerary notice to red if there is a schedule change, but AA can't send a notification nor indicate on "my trips" that a change has been made! Unbelievable.

2. socalgecko

socalgecko Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've come to believe that what we're dealing with in terms of how well AA notifies & addresses schedule changes on award flights is really just a game of technology roulette. Sometimes I've gotten autodialed phone calls alerting me to changes and offering to connect me with an agent, but it isn't at all consistent. I, too, have discovered major itinerary changes on my own more than once. Most recently, AA told me about a schedule change to the first leg of a LAX-PHL-ATH itinerary but neglected to notify me at all two days later when they abruptly cancelled the second flight entirely. And even though they were able to get me to Athens in the end it took multiple calls, an additional $200 in taxes, and a reluctantly agreed-to 7-hour layover in Heathrow.

But hey, I'm still going to Athens and business class is still better than coach!

At the very least they certainly would be able to refund some of those redeemed miles for you. If they can't get you back into FC, why not ask for a reissue as a biz class reward? Since it was a schedule change, they shouldn't charge you any fees.

Counsellor likes this.
  3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    It isn't a fee issue or mile return. I'm exec so no fees involved. It's that I wouldn't take the trip at all if I hadn't secured first. Now I'm locked in since outbound, hotels, etc all unchangeable and STILL 3 weeks later AA hasn't even bothered to ask Cathay to release a seat!

4. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    And what happens if Cathay says "nope, not gonna do it"?

I'm not terribly clear on what the problem is, to be honest. Did you get an F->J downgrade on a USA->HKG CX Segment because CX cancelled a flight, or a HKG->somewhere in Asia segment? Or both? Or neither (are you flying HKG-Europe or somewhere else?)

My take is that on a 2-3 hour segment out of HKG to someplace like BKK I probably wouldn't get all "DYKWIA and fear my shiny Exec Platinum card" on AA given that it's not exactly AA's decision on what airplanes CX decides to fly on intra-Asia flights (and they are actually notorious for doing these kinds of swaps on intra-Asia, save for a few "sticky" routes they will typically have longhaul equipment on).

Then again I've never had a shiny Exec Platinum card and I wouldn't dream of not traveling to Asia if I couldn't be in CX F every moment I was flying (I've happily flown business, coach on long trips, quite voluntarily, as well as flying LCC in Asia), so perhaps I don't understand your mindset correctly. Why exactly is this "write the AA CEO" material when CX changed some equipment and flights?

if on the other hand CX is changing equipment on North America->HKG or somewhere longhaul and thus hosed you, and CX is being sticky about putting you in F out of North America... I dunno, maybe see if you can get put on DFW-HKG in AA F? Or is the point you simply must be in CX F? I get that your goal is "I want CX F 'cause I paid for it". I guess I'm not clear on what happened.

newbluesea likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe I don't read enough FT forums, but I always thought UA was notorious for letting award customers hang high and dry when a partner flight changed and segments get dropped left and right and not rebooked.

newbluesea and eponymous_coward like this.
  6. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well maybe I wasn't clear, segment involved is hkg lax

Ticket purchased with miles in October. Early February AA sent me an email update about a non change to lax-so on the same itinerary

Apparently 3 days after the email CX cancelled the flight I was booked on and put me on a flight hours different and downgraded me to business.

AA NEVER notified me about the cancelled flight or class change, I only found out accidently two weeks after the fact. The normal procedure would be for AA to request CX open first class on the new flight, but CX said AA had not even requested this.

The reason for writing to the CEO is that AA did not notify me of change, nor was there any obvious way of knowing this (like on "my trips" something indicating a flight change, it isn't until you click on details that you see no itinerary and a notice to call AA).

I think it is important to be notified if a flight is canceled
    and since their system doesn't seem to be working ("you should have received an email but I can see one wasn't sent" by agent) and there is no more talking to customer relations I was hoping this would get appropriate attention.

This isn't about one flight of mine it is a systematic problem that affects many customers.

You can insult me if you wish, (which doesn't seem to accomplish much), or take note of the warning that AA is not very responsive to customer disservice, your choice!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  7. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    So you're complaining because two weeks in you weren't notified of a rather significant downgrade caused by CX's equipment swap. OK.

The part about the agent saying you didn't get an email wasn't in your original post. That might make it hard to understand the problem. Thanks for explaining.