What happens to our miles and points when we die?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Punki, Feb 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought it might be advantageous to have a thread that consolidates what happens to our carefully acquired mile and point assets when we die.

I will start with the programs where I have the most miles and points.

Alaska Mileage Plan: This is the plan where I actually have the most miles, but their office is closed until Monday. My understanding is that miles can bequeathed to beneficiaries.

American Advantage: Miles can be bequeathed to your beneficiaries. A $50 transfer fee applies.

Delta Sky Miles: Miles can be bequeathed to your beneficiaries.

Hilton Honors: Points can be used by beneficiaries who have access to your login information. They will expire, however, after 12 months, so if you anticipate that the end is near, you might put your beloved/s on your Hilton Amex.

Hyatt Goldpass: Points can be transferred to surviving spouse or domestic partner (with proof of a legal mariage, whatever that means these days) upon proof of death. The cannot go to anyone else.

Starwood Preferred Guest: Points can be bequeathed to your beneficiaries.
    United Mileage Plus: Miles can be bequeathed to your beneficiaries. A $75 transfer fee will apply.

The following information has been added by the courtesy of other members. I will make every effort to keep it updated and alphabetized for easy reference.

Aeroplan: (Courtesy of Exit Row) Reflecting its desire to express compassion, Aeroplan's practice is to allow the transfer of miles. If there is a surviving spouse, they may request the transfer of the miles from the deceased member’s account at a cost of $0.01/mile plus a $30 administration fee (plus taxes).

Air New Zealand Airpoints: (Courtesy of Kiwi)
    8.8.2 Your Membership will terminate on your death. Airpoints Dollars, Status Points and any other benefits earned but not redeemed at the time of your death will be cancelled for no consideration, unless a transfer is permitted in accordance with clause 8.5. We'll terminate your Membership and close your Account when we receive notification of your death. We will not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever suffered by any person as a result of such termination.
    8.8.3 If anyone claims accruals or credits from a deceased Member's Account, they may be subject to appropriate administrative and/or legal action by us including, but not limited to, Membership cancellation (if applicable) and the loss of all accumulated Airpoints Dollars and unused Rewards. We may also take action to recover the monetary value of the Airpoints Dollars and benefits concerned.

Airmiles: (Courtesy of taiwaned) Points are transferable to a legal spouse or domestic partner in the case of documented death of the Member. FAX a copy of death certificate. Name the beneficiary and their Air Miles number. No fee is charged.

British Airways Executive Club: (Courtesy of Primula and kiwi)
    3.12. Membership will terminate automatically:​

3.12.1. in the event of the expiry of all Mileage in accordance with Clause 12.3 when a Member has not earned or redeemed Mileage or purchased or transferred Mileage in accordance with the appropriate Conditions of Use for 36 consecutive months; and​
    3.12.2. upon the death of a Member, Mileage and Tier Points accumulated but unused at the time of death shall be cancelled.​

Emirates Skywards: (Courtesy of kiwi)
    2.6 Membership is automatically terminated on the death or bankruptcy of a Member. Miles accumulated prior to termination in these circumstances will be immediately cancelled. However, Skywards may, at its sole discretion, reinstate Miles in favour of the heirs of the deceased Member upon the application of his or her personal representative, provided that the deceased Member's account holds a minimum balance of 20,000 Miles at the time of the Member's death.

Marriott Rewards: (Courtesy of travelingmore) Points are transferable to a legal spouse or domestic partner in the case of documented death of the Member.

Qantas: (Courtesy of tuapekastar) Membership will terminate automatically on the death of a Member. Points earned but not yet redeemed or transferred prior to the death of the Member will be cancelled. Qantas will close the Member's account on notification of the Member's death. Qantas will not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever suffered by any person as a result of such cancellation.

Singapore Airlines Kris Flyer: (Courtesy of kiwi) 15. Membership will end automatically upon the death of the member. Miles earned but not redeemed at the time of death, as well as benefits and privileges, will be automatically cancelled.

Please add the policies for your programs.

P.S. Emphasis added where deemed important or just amusing.

2. benchik
    Original Member

benchik Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can status be bequeathed as well?

I can imagine what would happen after a couple of generations. :)

3. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Finally a thread worthy of a seniors forum (although sadly also of interest to non-seniors).

Fredd and Bonnie like this.
  4. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know about AmEx MR??

5. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    From the Marriott Rewards Terms and Conditions:
    Accrued Points and Miles do not constitute property of the Member. Points accrued by a Rewards Program Member are for the Member's benefit only and may not be transferred to anyone. Points are transferable to a legal spouse or domestic partner in the case of documented death of the Member. Points are not transferable to another person for any other reason, including divorce or inheritance. There is a limited exception for the transfer of Points into the Rewards Account of a legal spouse or domestic partner in order to qualify for a specific Reward. See “Earn Points – Transferring Points from One Account to Another.”

Punki likes this.
  6. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the input, travelingmore. I had tried to call Marriott and Hyatt, but they were both closed for the weekend.

Now that our son has become a frequent traveler, he has lamented the fact on several occasions that we didn't name him after his Dad. ;)

Lalala and travelingmore like this.
  7. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    Air Miles - fax copy of death certificate. Name the beneficiary and their Air Miles number. No fee is charged.

8. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Which airline is Airmiles?

9. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    What happens when the beneficiaries say "there just miles and points, who cares?" Have them sign up on Milepoint now, before it's too late!

Punki likes this.
  10. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    My beneficiaries (who are also beneficiaries of my stash while I am still alive) are well aware of the benefits of having lots of miles and points. I suspect that most parents with lots of miles and points have "gifted' their children with airplane tickets to fly home for Christmas and other special family events that are very meaningful to the parents. ;)

sagefemme52 and sobore like this.
  11. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks I feel better now. Your right, one international trip in F or J class using miles would get the point across.[​IMG]

12. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully I will have enough Miles for a flight to Heaven and enough points to stay more than one night.

cr34102, sagefemme52 and tsastor like this.
  13. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Make sure you have enough points/miles in case you have to make the trip back!

FlyingFree likes this.
  14. chgoeditor
    Original Member

chgoeditor Silver Member

Status Points:
    My mom's partner died and she was the executor as well as the beneficiary. In instances where points didn't seem easily transferable (or there was a fee), she kept the account open in his name, never notified the program that he'd died and simply redeemed tickets in her own name. (I'm specifically not naming programs because I don't want to make it obvious to the programs in question that people are using this loophole.) She and I are actually using the last of his miles on one airline to take a trip to Africa this spring.

Even where a program doesn't allow online booking of award travel, very little personal info is necessary to book an award over the phone (name of the account holder, frequent flier number, address). As long as someone of the same gender calls, there's little in-depth questioning to confirm identity.

In my Mom's case, it was easier because she & her partner lived together, so the post office continued to deliver mail from his frequent flier programs to their shared address. These days, of course, you can also request all email delivery of program-related info, so you can easily change the email address on file from the deceased's address to the beneficiary's address.

15. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I share login information on all our accounts. Actually, I manage all the accounts and she has a copy of all the account numbers and login information. When booking reward travel, I utilize the account that seems most appropriate at the time. At some point, I will let my children know where all the passwords are so they could gain access in the event of my untimely departure.

16. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    We are doing a will/trust tune up this spring. I will add the request to bequeath my miles to the person who I adore, cherish and already has more miles than she knows what to do with now. The same goes for her.

Punki likes this.
  17. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    We share the same passwords on our ff accounts. If TH changed hers suddenly, I would be very worried.

18. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    Especially if she changes hers right after she empties your balances.

19. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    I never thought of that... She could send the Duggars to Hawaii in FC with my combined accounts (super saver, but still).

20. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually a very helpful and useful thread...thanks

Punki and travelingmore like this.
  21. Exit Row
    Original Member

Exit Row Silver Member

Status Points:
    Air Canada Aeroplan:

(bolding mine)

Aeroplan Terms and Conditions state that Aeroplan Miles or Rewards are personal and cannot be assigned, traded, willed or otherwise transferred. However, reflecting its desire to express compassion, Aeroplan's practice is to allow the transfer of miles. If there is a surviving spouse, they may request the transfer of the miles from the deceased member’s account at a cost of $0.01/mile plus a $30 administration fee (plus taxes). If there is no spouse, then it may go to surviving residual heir(s), at a cost of $0.01/mile plus a $30 administration fee (plus taxes).

Source: https://www2.aeroplan.com/help/category.do?faq=1009&id=accounts

What a cash grab! If I died today, it would cost Mrs. Exit Row $8,450 (+ tax) to keep my balance.

22. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well that certainly reflects a desire to express compassion. [​IMG]

I think if I had Aeroplan Miles I would continue to pretend I was still alive.

tahewett and Exit Row like this.
  23. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry forgot that audience is not just Canadian.

Airmiles is www.airmiles.ca a loyalty rewards program for Canada, UK, Spain, Netherlands and Middle East.

24. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    lalala, I am happy to hear that you are doing a tune up. As I am sure you know, it is so very important for you to make sure that you have dotted all of your "i"s and crossed all of your "t"s. Most of all, I trust you have very supportive families who will be there all the way for both of you. I know our daughter's biggest worry is that she and her partner will hit a legal stumbling block somewhere along the way that they hadn't anticipated.

25. tuapekastar
    Original Member

tuapekastar Silver Member

Status Points:
    QF wants them back! (or at the very least, rendered unusable)

From QFF Terms & Conditions:

8.3 Membership will terminate automatically on the death of a Member. Points earned but not yet redeemed or transferred prior to the death of the Member will be cancelled. Qantas will close the Member's account on notification of the Member's death. Qantas will not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever suffered by any person as a result of such cancellation

Of course, notification of death can take some time, and many members ensure that family/friends are able to access the FF points in the meantime.

kiwi likes this.