What happens to mileage after cancellation and rebooking w/ other carrier?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DCtrAAveler, May 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    This happened to me for the first time yesterday, so I'm not quite sure what to expect. Flying SFO-JFK-DCA. When we landed in JFK, got word that JFK-DCA was cancelled (Eagle) because of weather from TS Beryl along the east coast. AC AAngel rebooked us on a US Airways flight out of LGA, and got us a car voucher to get between airports. The US Airways flight was diverted en route, stopping in RIC to refuel before going on to DCA. Should I still get credit for the JFK-DCA flight? At the 500-mile minimum?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can request original routing credit. Some carriers distinguish between rebookings caused by WX versus MX.

DCtrAAveler likes this.
  3. travelmi

travelmi Silver Member

Status Points:
    You should. I have been rebooked multiple times on United Airlines due to American's cancellation, never failed to get ORC after contacting AA.

DCtrAAveler likes this.
  4. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I'll give AAdvantage a call and see what happens.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can also try to double dip and get *A miles from US for the US flight since it's in a different alliance.

6. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm...I might have to give that a try. Not that it would mean much in my MP account, but wouldn't hurt.

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It's not hard at all, I've done it a few times.

8. TelevisionTdTina

TelevisionTdTina Silver Member

Status Points:
    What about getting miles on a mechanical?

My 6a flight out of LAX-ORD had a mechanical, and there was a 2+ hr delay, with change of equipment. I wouldn't be able to make my appointment in Chicago in time, and canceled my trip. AA promptly refunded the fare.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with getting original routing credit, even though you didn't fly?

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Seems unlikely, particularly since you got a refund. You could probably write and ask for some RDM. I just don't see EQM/ORC being awarded though.

10. TelevisionTdTina

Status Points:
    Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

Disappointing. But, I suppose somewhat understandable. Would I write CS from the website or whom?

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    To be honest I've never seen someone ask for ORC after a MX.

AA does have a contact form on AA.com that is pretty direct and useful for addressing MX issues. I'd certainly drop them a clear, concise note that explains what happened and what you'd like to be compensated for, avoiding emotional anecdotes, etc. It might be worth asking for ORC, but as I said, I don't see the liklihood of that as very bright at all.

Sorry for your troubles and that you missed your meeting, but glad you seem to have kept a positive attitude and didn't come storming the gates. :)

TelevisionTdTina likes this.
  12. TelevisionTdTina

Status Points:
    I'd rather be safe, then ???. No gate storming. I fact the Elite line was helpful in rebooking to the next available flight, however, that flight did not get me in for the appointment time. In retrospect, I should have asked to be rebooked on another day, but didn't have another date available at that time. I felt like the agent needed an answer to be rebooked that day, or refund. I'd think it reasonable to get ORC, given it was an AA issue.

13. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well this is an appropriate topic to be brought up as i am sitting on the tarmac in Tulsa as my SFO-DFW flight was diverted and my DFE-IAH flight later tonight was canxed. (Can't even get off the plane as they don't have a Jetway tall enough for a 767.)

14. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just to follow up. I did e-mail customer service and request the ORC. Had a response the following day that it would be done and to check in 24 hours. I did, and the miles are now there for the cancelled JFK-DCA leg.