What happens on a MR including several airlines if I miss my connection?

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by petzpetz, Jun 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. petzpetz

petzpetz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi!

I'm petzpetz and this is only my second post on this board. I didn't find a thread on my particular question so I was hoping for an expert to read my post here and maybe help me out with some advice:

In July, I will have my first mileage run BOS-CLT-LAX-YUL-BCN-MUC-YYZ-ORD-BOS with a day in YUL and 13 days in BCN. The first two legs are on US Airways, the following two on Air Canada, then one Lufthansa, two Air Canada and the last one on United.

I was wondering if anybody has experiences with itineraries including multiple airlines and tight connections. What happens if I miss one of them? I'm particularly worried about the CLT connection with only 40 minutes. What happens if I miss that one due to a delay on behalf of US Airways? I'm sure they could rebook me on a later CLT-LAX flight but then I'd miss my LAX-YUL leg.

Best,
    petzpetz

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP.

Is this all on one ticket? If so, you're clearly protected and the carrier that delivers you late to the missed connection must rebook you at no cost. If you have separate tickets, you're probably OK as all of the carriers are within the same alliance. Remember that you can double dip and request original routing credit.

Can you fly something like standby on an earlier BOS-CLT flight?

3. petzpetz

petzpetz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the answer MSPeconomist!

Yes, it is all on one ticket. Does double dip mean that I get miles for the flight that I actually flew AND miles for the original routing..? I presume I'd get vouchers or e-certs only if my arrival in BCN as the sort-of final destination is delayed, right?

Oh, another thing I was wondering about: am I right to presume that I should not pay for checked baggage since it's ultimately an international flight and I do have less than 24 hours in YUL?

Thanks a lot!
    petzpetz

P.S.: Unfortunately, it is not possible to take an earlier BOS-CLT since it's already scheduled for 5am.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you request FF credit by putting your number on the flights flown (in this case, some other *A FF program) and then request original routing credit from your main program/the program that had your number on the ticket from the beginning. However, you can't get credit for both flights on the same program and you should make sure that your number is correctly entered when you take the following flight. Also, check your FF program and alliance rules to be sure that you can credit both programs in the same alliance without problems because you probably want to make sure that your intended program gets credit for the MR. (Usually the situation arises when you're put on a carrier on another alliance, i.e., NW cancels STL-MSP and puts me on TWA/AA for the segment.)

Unfortunately as a hub captive, I don't know the *A luggage rules. Are you elite with some program? Will you check the bag through to your destination (easier and more likely to be free) or take it during your day-long stopover?

dildooba44 and petzpetz like this.
  5. petzpetz

petzpetz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks a lot MSPeconomist for answering so quick and detailed!

I think I understand the double dipping now. I will have to check with the FF programs in case my itinerary breaks.

With regard to the checked luggage, I guess I'll just pack everything I need into my carry on, go to the airport and see from there.

Thanks again! That really helped!

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember that some foreign carriers can be much more strict about carry on limits that we're accustomed to here. If you only have a single bag and are forced to check it, this could be really bad if it gets lost or delayed. If you can't easily do this length of trip well within the strictest carryon rules, it's better to plan to check a wheeled bag, especially if it's free for you, and to plan minimal stuff for the planes and a day or so in a carry on piece. Others may disagree.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're worried about connections, it can be wise to research alternatives in advance so that if something bad happens, you can suggest the flights you prefer to the agent who rebooks you. This saves time for you and them.

8. petzpetz

petzpetz Silver Member

Status Points:
    For me, it's actually the other way round: I'm living in Boston but I'm German and so I was pretty astonished by the size of your carry on's over here :)

You are right. Will do!