What happens if I quit in the middle of the flight?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by palmeiras1000, Apr 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. palmeiras1000

palmeiras1000 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I bought back in November the amazing deal on Tam of a roundtrip from New York to Buenos Aires with a stop over in Sao Paulo for just $339.

My flight will be in 2 weeks, I'm leaving Tuesday night from JFK having a stop over of 2 hours in GRU and then continuing to EZE. I just realized that a friend of mine is getting married in São Paulo that Wednesday night, so I was thinking to just quit the flight from GRU to EZE and stay in São Paulo for a day or two. Now I wouldn't mind to lose that flight (GRU-EZE) since I could get it for 7,500 Avios miles (and I think is worth it for a wedding of a friend)

But my only concern is that "missing" one leg of my flight they might canceled the entire flight including the way back from EZE to JFK (in this case I wouldn't do that..)

I've never quit a flight before so if anyone have any experience with that or any advice I'll be happy to hear.

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think most people would forfeit the last leg as a strategy in some cases to avoid fuel surcharges or for other reasons, but I don't think people generally forgo a middle segment and catch the rest of the itinerary later, because the risk is that the airline would cancel the remainder of your flights.

I assume that making a change to the itinerary and changing the middle segment by a day or two would be cost-prohibitive?

Maybe you can "miss" the flight and call the airline to try to get rebooked the next day, since you'll probably get a flat tire on the way to the airport? *wink* *wink*

marcwint55 and TravelBear like this.
  3. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think Vigueras suggestion of an itinerary change to add a stopover would be your safest bet.

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. palmeiras1000

palmeiras1000 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the ideas, they don't let any change in this ticket, but the second idea sounds good, I could tell them I got sick of the flight .

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right, and then you could even sue them for serving bad food :-/

viguera and marcwint55 like this.
  6. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    One thing to consider is that if you were only in transit in GRU, your luggage will still be on the plane unless you do not have checked luggage. Most in transit stopovers due not require going through customs or immigration and therefore do not give you your luggage.

webdes03 and viguera like this.
  7. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to mention that if you're only in GRU for 2 hours... "getting a flat tire" is a pretty tough argument...

Agreed.

marcwint55 likes this.
  8. richardfredy

richardfredy Member

Status Points:
    you won't get the full cash you have spend for your ticket