What happens if I miss my flight?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Maximizer, Jul 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    United.com is a bit confusing on this, so I just want to make sure. My understanding is that I can standby for a later flight and pay a $75 change fee (assuming non-refundable ticket and no status), but won't be asked to pay a fare difference. The good old days of getting to the airport late due to traffic and being put on a later flight for free are long gone.

Is this correct? What if I cannot tell them in advance that I would be late, for example because I'm on another flight with no way to communicate? I think elsewhere they say that you forfeit your ticket if you don't cancel before departure...?

Thanks in advance for clearing this up!

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're on another plane, would it be the same ticket? Also UA or at least *A?

3. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    It would be a completely separate ticket on another alliance :)

4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can be complicated, depending on status. Generally, I don't do these kinds of trips same day.

MissBurrill likes this.
  5. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, sounds too risky. Thanks.

6. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there an interlining agreement between the two airlines?

7. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    So the other airline is BA. I doubt there is an interline agreement since they are in different alliances. How do I find out for sure though, are these agreements published definitively anywhere?

What happens if there is an interline agreement, but I'm on two separate tickets? Do they treat them as one through ticket then? I know AA publishes such a policy, but I don't know about others.

8. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, Wikipedia says that UA has an interlining agreement with AA and BA. No citation is provided, though.

I don't know the answer to your questions, but I wonder if such an interlining agreement might can let you get the two tickets related? If you checked a bag, wouldn't you be able to check it straight through? (Assuming that it's a legal connection.)

9. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    From this FT thread it sounds like BA won't interline to UA on a separate booking unless maybe if you get an agent having a very good day.

Also after a quick search it sounds like interlining is specifically about bag transfers and not about missed connections.

10. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    In practice UA seems to still have a "flat tire" rule. I'm not sure what the rules say. Especially if you're showing up at a special services counter inside security (v. a check-in counter), they're likely to rebook you without much fuss. But it is a risk.

HaveMilesWillTravel and SC Flier like this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course, given how full planes are these days, the next available flight might not be the next flight.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  12. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not an expert in this, but I thought interline agreement is only in regards to checked bags?

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You apparently thought wrong. ;) For example:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...between-asia-and-north-america-140728143.html

NEW YORK, Feb. 28, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- JetBlue Airways (NASDAQ: JBLU) and Korean Air jointly announced today an interline partnership which allows travellers to conveniently book connections between JetBlue's network in The Americas and Korean's network throughout Asia Pacific.
    Effective this week, customers can book tickets for combined travel on JetBlue and Korean Air through New York John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD), and Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). Connecting travel can be booked by calling Korean Air reservations* or a preferred travel agent.

SC Flier and kw335 like this.
  14. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stand corrected. Hence why I'm not an expert :D

SC Flier likes this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Neither am I. I was under the impression that there are baggage interline agreements and ticketing interline agreements. I certainly have checked in bags with carrier X to be forwarded to carrier Y when the two flights were not on the same ticket and the two carriers were not in the same alliance. E.g., Bangkok Airways from Koh Samui to SIN, "connecting" to United Airlines.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  16. myskyconnections

myskyconnections Active Member

Status Points:
    summarizing the thread: not sure, but best of luck :)

SC Flier and Maximizer like this.