what happened to the upgrade?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by TRYING2BPLAT, Nov 6, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I book an AA flight as a platinum and requested for upgrade using the 500-mile coupon, I also register for a US airways challenge because I can fly 30k n become chairman than flying 100k to be execplat anyhow, if I change my advantage # to US div miles # as silver at checkin, will I forfeit the upgrade if I get it?

2. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    US Airways and AA programs are still separate.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/programdetails/eliteupgrades_merger.html

3. AAdam_flyer

AAdam_flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I understand correctly, you requested an AA upgrade (on an AA flight) using your AA Platinum status and wish to change the FF# on the reservation at check-in to your USAir # because of the challenge, which you expect to eventually earn you Chairman. Right?

If that is what you mean, AA agents are sometimes hesitant to change frequent flyer numbers from an AA# with status to another program. Especially after upgrades. It is worth a try, I would suggest calling rather than doing it at the airport since you can HUCA if you are unhappy with your result.

4. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    if this is the case, it would not be a smart decision, with trial preferred AA does not count toward your 30k

5. AAdam_flyer

AAdam_flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    They changed the terms to include American flights.

"Only elite-qualifying miles earned on flights operated by US Airways, US Airways Express, American Airlines and American Eagle can be applied toward the Trial Preferred program" - Terms & Conditions, US Airways

6. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    thank you AAdam_flyer, I will book without the platinum status and seat in the back.