What Happened to "AAdvantage Dining" iPhone and iPad app?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kansaskeith, Jan 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rewards Network, the contractor for "AAdvantage Dining," has a rather keen iPhone/iPad app that one can use to find participating restaurants near the current location of your iPad/iPhone. For a long, long time, the one problem for AAdvantage Dining participants was that the Rewards Network app gave you choices when setting it up what program you were in: iDine, Delta, Rewards Network Corporate, etc., but never listed AAdvantage Dining. There was some chatter as to why not, and the speculation was that American Airlines had decided not to allow it. But whatever the reason, that was fixed last year! And then, thankfully, you could say you were an AAdvantage Dining member and find out what restaurants offered what ratio of miles near your current location.

Now, tonight, that "fix" is gone! The Rewards Network app no longer works for AAdvantage Dining. I tried both an iPad, an iPhone, deleting and reinstalling. It gives you the other airlines as choices, but no longer AA. Wonder why not?

(One can still "cheat," and choose the option on the app to say he is, for example in Delta's Rewards Network program and find participating restaurants that way. In my experience I never found one that was in one "flavor" Rewards Network program and not another -- but that's awkward. I really wonder why if this was "fixed" last year it was "unfixed" now. Hope it is not (a) related to Chap. 11, or (b) a signal that AA is pulling out of AAdvantage Dining. I doubt either of those is true, but. . . .)

Any thoughts? Also, any Android users on here who can check the Rewards Network app on their phones?

EDIT: Whatever the problem was, it seems to have been fixed (as AisleSeatBob found) by Friday afternoon. Posts below flesh that out.

2. AisleSeatBob

AisleSeatBob Active Member

Status Points:
    I just installed RN Dining on my iPhone and it AAdvantage Dining is still an option. Logged in using my account info and it works. Maybe you might delete and download again?

Attached Files:

garyst16 and kansaskeith like this.
  3. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, Bob, thanks so much. Last night when I installed that app to my iPad it simply did not show me AA as an option, though I left the app on there and went to another non-AA option. When I read your post just now I said I know it didn't work last night but let me start that app again, and dang if AA wasn't there. I switched the option back to AA and all is well.

Under normal circumstances I might say I was just blind last night and didn't see the AA option in RN on the iPad, but. . . . when I had that problem I went over to my iPHONE where that app had been pre-selected with AA as the option for months, and it gave me some obtuse message about the some file .aa not being present. So, having failed last night on both the iPhone and the iPad, obviously I concluded AA was no longer an option for the RN app. Went back to the iPHONE just now, and sure enough, AA as an option works once again.

I really don't think I was hallucinating! Whatever the problem was on their end last night it must have been fixed. Thanks for posting, because if I hadn't read your post this afternoon I doubt I would have tried again.

AisleSeatBob likes this.
  4. AisleSeatBob

AisleSeatBob Active Member

Status Points:
    Since the RN Dining App is connecting to a server, I bet they were doing some maintenance or having an issue on the backend.

Glad I read your post. I'd known for awhile that RN Dining had added AAdvantage Dining, but kept forgetting to install it. Thanks to you, I have it on my phone now. :)

5. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got RN on my Android phone and AA is in and working...

kansaskeith likes this.
  6. AmericanAirlines

AmericanAirlines Official Representative

Status Points:
    We can confirm that this has been fixed as well. Thanks for your patience!