What GPS to buy?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Dovster, Mar 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Understand one thing -- my entire experience with a GPS is using a NeverLost in a rented Hertz car. I freely admit to being a complete novice with them. I don't even know how to change maps. (Is this done physically by switching a chip or do I somehow download additional maps into the device?)

I have decided to buy one, but have no idea of which to get. Obviously, I want the best price possible but I have certain minimum requirements:

1. It has to be easily moved from one car to another.

2. It must accept maps for Israel, North America, and Western Europe.

3. It has to speak to me. I want to hear instructions on where to turn left or right, not try to read them while I am driving.

4. If it will tell me about traffic jams or other problems, that is icing on the cake. It is only a few bucks more, okay. If it is a lot more, I will pass on it.

5. Ditto for it telling me where we are while in a plane. Nice, worth a few dollars, but not a deal killer.

6. Ditto (again) for it helping me when I am walking in a strange city.

Which GPS would you suggest (manufacturer and model)?

lisamcgu and jbcarioca like this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    With your specifications the choice becomes easy.

First, no current GPS finds UIG's or any related persons, except for a handful of local market only Russian and Ukranian models.
    Second, there are a fair number of Israel GPS software sets available, but many of them are unreleliable. the best IMHO is the Garmin maps:
    http://gpstracklog.com/2010/04/finally-garmin-city-navigator-israel-nt.html
    Third, There are several Garmin models that have preinstalled maps for NA and Europe. I use one of those. They also allow lifetime updates at a modest price so you can always be current.
    Four, GPS of several types will speak to you. It is a question of what language. No current-production model speaks Brooklynese, but several speak English and bizarre Hebrew.
    Five, traffic you can get easily for most of Europe, some of NA. these advices come by subscription, or additional logic or both.
    Six, they all will allow you to be obnoxious on a plane
    Seven, nobody can help you about walking with strage women but several can guide you regarding streets, and many can help you to the nearest short-time hotel.
    The specific model you seem to want is this:
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=70239

Please advise me if I can be of any other service. Your wish is my command, sir.

lisamcgu and Dovster like this.
  3. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    As well it should be!

I do have a concern, however. The model you recommended is the nüvi 2370LT but the first link you provided says the Israeli maps are only compatible with the nüvi 1XXX series.

4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Israeli maps will be compatible with all Nuvi series. BTW, there may well be better Israeli maps out there too. Once you have a good idea what you want to do I can find one for you.

I have been using GPS in airplanes, cars and boats since the very first ones came into civil use. i also use non-manufacturer maps in a variety of countries. Compatibility will not be a problem for Israel.

5. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does any map work with any GPS system?

6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    NO, he shouted! There are a variety fo incompatible mapping software systems. that is one of the big reasons to get a Garmin. there are many o them around and nearly all private developers make software for them. The Nuvi have in most models a memory card that allows lots of additional software. I have Brazil, Russia, Japan, and Thailand on mine now in addition to the NA and EU maps that are in main memory.

You will note on the Garmin website that the 2370 is compatible with the download version of the Israel maps so yuou need not use external storage. Here is Garmin's own reference for that map:
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=72664

lisamcgu likes this.
  7. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    VERY Good question :)
    Dov.. IMHO, just get a Google Android phone.. GPS is included FREE! :)
    BTW, will the 'mods' please move this thread to 'OMNI' ..
    Ooops .. wrong.. whatever.. just kidding! :D

8. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    I enjoy the nav built into nokia smartphones it has walking, voice guidance, maps for the entire world and ITS FREE and you can download the maps to the phone so no data plan required!!!
    http://europe.nokia.com/apps-maps-and-more

9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use the maps in my iPad too. The smartphone maps work superbly but they, for me anyway, do not substitute for a purpose-built GPS because of the navigation support features. I do love the maps on my iPad even though I use it mostly for walking in strange places and finding restaurants.

lisamcgu likes this.
  10. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I concur on the Garmin. I have a Europe chip that I insert when using it there, and it's been reliable through small towns in Italy. Mine speaks Italian, Silvia is her name. Dov loves it when Italian women tell him where to go. :D

11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why did I not think of that. Silvia is dominating, seductive, determined and insistent. What more would Berlusconi like?

Is Dov connected with Berlusconi?; they're the same age after all. UIG really means Berlusconi's UIG? I am soo confused?:confused::confused:

lisamcgu and Gargoyle like this.
  12. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I just hope Dov remembers the difference between Silvia and Silvio. :eek:

13. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remembers? Did he ever know? Is it true that his long term memory is not as good as it may once have been?
    Bucks County, then...

lisamcgu likes this.
  14. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please do not discuss Silvia right now. You may have read that Sarah Palin is visiting Israel and I don't want to take a chance of her logging in to this thread when she wakes up.

doc, lisamcgu and jbcarioca like this.
  15. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nobody ever said you wanted them smart!

lisamcgu likes this.
  16. Sarah P.
    Original Member

Sarah P. Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was smart enough to get elected as governor of Alaska and, more importantly, figure out how to get to Dovster's house and charge the whole trip off as campaign expenses!

Too late, Dovster honey. Now, where did you say you keep that M-16?

Grail, lisamcgu and jbcarioca like this.
  17. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    There it is. I should never have misunderestimated you:)

18. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, I already found a celebrity here!

(I mean Dovester) :p

lisamcgu, jbcarioca and Dovster like this.
  19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Imagine a Mad Dog enthusiast as a newbie? That will not last long. You'll have enough likes to be seriously Evangelistic quite soon. Welcome, to all the celebrities.

lisamcgu and N965VJ like this.
  20. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK, forgive me for being dense. I've been thinking of finally breaking down and buying a GPS for my car. I live in the Bay Area and travel mainly to LA, NY/NJ and Detroit domestically. I'm planning a trip to Spain this summer, and will be in Israel later in the year. When I go to Europe/Israel, will I need to buy a separate card for my GPS? Or is that just Nuvi, not Garmin? Thank you, kind mp'ers.

jbcarioca likes this.
  21. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nuvi is just a brand of Garmin. Several models come with both Europe and NA preloaded. Israel has separate maps. This model, for example has those: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=133&ra=true Nuve 2370LT
    The Israel map sold by Garmin is here: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=72664&pvID=73172 it costs $100. There are lots of other Garmin-compatible Israel maps but for a first-time user it might be better to go with the manufacturers.

ducster likes this.
  22. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wound up buying the 2370LT and the Israeli map. Both are being delivered to someone in the States who will bring them to me when we meet in Europe in two weeks.

ducster and jbcarioca like this.
  23. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope it works well. I keep reviewing the options every few weeks and still find there is no better choice. I am thinking I should replace my three-year-old Nuvi but it still works fine and has all the maps I ever need plus the lifetime updates so I keep waiting.

ducster and Dovster like this.
  24. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do I have to get an additional map in order to be obnoxious on a plane or does it come with something built in that tells me where in the world I am?

ducster and jbcarioca like this.
  25. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might find it difficult to be obnoxious ;) but if geolocating yourself can help. Garmin has a basic world map for the princely sum of $116.65 : https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=662&pvID=85486 I have used it for some particularly remote places and it is basic, but it will track you nicely wherever you are, so you can bore people around you by pointing out you're passing Krossholt, Iceland pop 14. You also might irritate FA's who'll tell you it is a violation to use the thing because of cockpit interference. Odd since the same technology is in the cockpit. I have had fun by having my highest road speed appear as 700MPH.

Also they have a full line of avionics so you can have complete IFR certified, approach certified GPS if you really want to know where you are in the air. http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/intheair/

ducster likes this.