What gives with South America???

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Steven Schwartz, Jun 28, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doing a cruise from Buenos Aires to Santiago. Fortunately, booked flights long time ago.

Booked AA to BA in First with a stop in Miami and LAN Business return. Used Alaska miles for both as they can e cancelled without penalty for a long time. Also booked AA non-stop JFK to BA a month ahead knowing I can change the dates without penalty - did it before the mileage costs increased.

Check almost daily but it seems that when you enter NY to BA there are NO SAVER TICKETS available for pretty much then entire year. Understand, I'm happy we got what we got and can always cancel the non-stop and pay a penalty - more than willing to do it. But what has happened to AA Business availability to South American??? Boy, used to know there were rules, when there were rules (!) about when to snag tickets but this is somewhere between unbelievable and disgraceful.

Newscience likes this.
  2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA availability tends to run hot and cold lately. I'd suggest that if you haven't already, get expertflyer and set up an award alert for the seats you want. Let them check for you.

Newscience likes this.
  3. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have had Expert Flyer forever and totally forgot to do this. Thanks - but not holding my breath!

Newscience likes this.
  4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it's worth anything, I just cleared a waitlisted SWU a month prior to travel between NYC and south america (GIG-JFK).

Newscience likes this.
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although you didn't give a timeframe which is important for BA ( Dec to Feb is peak season for that route) I do see some availability for March/April 2017 through DFW and MIA and some connecting in SCL over the entire period from Sept on.

Newscience likes this.
  6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did as well for travel to BA in J this coming late November.

I recall seeing plenty of award availability when booking prior to change.

Side question: Flying JFK-EZE on AA 777-200, am I assuming correctly that these business class seats are layflat?

Newscience likes this.
  7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    1-2-1? then yes.

Newscience and Sweet Willie like this.