What exactly is "Free High Speed" internet in the hotel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by petrapenang, Sep 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. petrapenang

petrapenang Silver Member

Status Points:
    I find these ads by the hotels very deceiving. Running internet tests in most hotels yield a range of 512kbps to 1MBps connections. Relatively ok for email and social networking but sux for Skype video (fuzzy). Just stayed at the Park Inn FRA and the "Free High Speed" internet is 512kbps (tested at 500kbps) then the "paid High Speed" (& EUROs for 24hrs - not bad) internet is 7MBps. Really?

2. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think they mean "high speed" when compared to dial-up, but even then sometimes dial-up would be faster. Average speeds definitely seem to have improved this year in my domestic travels. I hope that's a continuing trend.

edekba likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure...why not?

The limited speed option is great for most users and if you need more you can pay for a premium service. I've got no problem with that business model. If a hotel has any reasonable number of rooms they're unlikely to be able to provide 1+ mbit to everyone and get reasonable performance. I'd very much prefer that they cap speeds to ensure all guests have something rather than letting a couple users consume all the bandwidth and leave none for others.

LETTERBOY and viguera like this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

I wish Gogo would take that approach and give you crappy speed for facebook updates and the like for free, and MegaBlast SuperIntertubes for a fee. :)

bigx0 likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reports are that LiveTV's product on JetBlue is going to be configured that way. We'll see if that comes true soon enough.

6. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think its a game to play, to see how frustrated you get. It takes 20 minutes to log on, then when you do log on, you are brought back down with 56K speeds. lol

viguera likes this.
  7. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If only they had MegaBlast SuperIntertubes speeds to give. ;) I think their best speeds make most hotels look good!

8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

Not to mention the frequent disconnects... or if the hotel is hosting some kind of conference and the system is taxed beyond capacity.

That's why I generally bring my own hotspot when I go on the road. It's a challenge internationally because of the costs, but it's a no-brainer when it comes to domestic hotels. They really are a toss-up, and you can end up with a great experience or with a terrible sucky connection.

vickers likes this.
  9. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is because more and more people have access to free "high speed internet" (either it is actually free for all guests, or they have some elite status), but somehow hotels have forgotten to actually upgrade their internet services to higher speed as the number of users went up.

viguera likes this.
  10. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep. I like to FaceTime with my wife and kids while I travel. I have rarely been successful in completing a conversation with free wifi. Usually have to connect via my hotspot.