What exactly can you redeem those Barclay Arrival World Mastercard points for?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by AeroHeart, Jan 26, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. AeroHeart

AeroHeart Active Member

Status Points:
    Having recently applied for the Arrival World Mastercard, I’m wondering if anyone has had experience using the card to redeem for incidental travel charges such as museums, city visitor cards, (e.g. IAmsterdam), hotel meals, commuter train tickets in Europe? We are working towards taking our family of four to Europe next summer and need to stretccccccccchhhhhh the cash.

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had charges from airlines, rental cars, hotels (and booking agencies) qualify as travel expenses. However, any charges below a certain threshold ($25 I think) would not qualify. Train tickets should be considered a travel expense, as long as they're over $25.

AeroHeart likes this.
  3. lunettes noires
    Original Member

lunettes noires Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just signed up for one of these myself. Does anyone know whether you can get reimbursed for travel purchases that are part of the min. spend to get the bonus? Or do I need to spend $1k and then start making travel plans...

4. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can be reimbursed for charges that are part of the minimum spend. Confirmed.

jwsky likes this.
  5. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Correct: $25 is the threshold. So if you're staying at a hotel and having a drink or two at the bar, be sure to have it charged to your room so it all gets consolidated into one big charge when you check out. Otherwise, $6 here and $12 there won't work.

jwsky and AeroHeart like this.
  6. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Oh, ... and for what it's worth, timeshare maintenance fees ARE eligible, but timeshare exchange fees are NOT. (At least IME.)

Their Twitter team is very responsive, and I had an interesting conversation with one of them wherein I asked: "Can you give me a situation where a timeshare fee would NOT be travel related?" She admitted it was odd, and that they're constantly updating what does and doesn't count. Ultimately it comes down to the MCC, but wanted to share my experience.

AeroHeart likes this.
  7. AeroHeart

AeroHeart Active Member

Status Points:
    Yes! I like the idea of charging drinks and food to a hotel room and paying the larger bill later. This could be a good way to get restaurant charges covered.

8. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    And a good way to increase your loyalty points from the hotel for incidentals. Always charge everything during a hotel stay to the room.