What does US status get you on UA/CO?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Flag_November, May 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Flag_November
    Original Member

Flag_November Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am, after a couple of months of heavy business travel, about to achieve Silver status on US. I will probably hit the 25k BIS miles and the 30 segments at the same time, later this week. (Hard core!)

What would that get me, if anything, if I were to fly on another Star Alliance carrier? Early boarding? Free bag? Nothing? US has the most flights where I am going but there are some other *A flights going there.

Just wondering.

2. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Early boarding will usually be offered to * gold and sometimes at smaller airports they let silvers sneak on as well. Silver is not that powerful when it comes to perks.

look here for more

3. Flag_November
    Original Member

Flag_November Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. The early boarding is key for me in order to avoid giving up my roller and possibly having it misconnect. So I guess I will stick with US until/unless I get to Gold.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you don't put up a lot of miles to get gold, you may want to look at a ff program like bmi diamond club. If you are diamond club gold with a non American based star A carrier you get early boarding, baggage allowance plus access to stateside star A lounges even when traveling economy.

5. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    *Silver status will get you one free checked bag on UA/CO (up to 50lbs).

Also, before they did away with boarding zones a couple weeks ago, *Silver status got you into boarding group 1 (which was the same boarding group for UA's Premier elites (their equivalent to US Silver status)) which allowed you to board pretty early (after their GS/1K/Premier execs and *A Golds, but before general boarding). Now that they've done away with zones, I'm not sure if *S still gets to board when the elites are called before general boarding. My gut wants to say yes, but you might want to throw that question up on the UA forum, as they are more likely to know.

6. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are other carriers that give you star gold status at lower thresholds than US. Air Canada and Aegan come to mind. The upside is priority boarding, lounge access, priority check-in. The downside is - lack of upgrades or exit rows when traveling on US. If you mainly travel on US - stick with US. The short answer is Star Silver gets you very little. You should get your first bag free on UA and CO. You're well on track to getting gold status on US.

7. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    BTW, Zones are back at UA/CO, so it's likely that *A Silver are now able to board before non-status passenger.