What does it take to get an upgrade?

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by FlyingBear, Oct 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I am a PC Platinum (by virtue of credit card) and would be Gold just through stays I had last year. I've stayed at ~8 properties this year, from Crowne Plaza to Holiday Inn/Express in places from Nashville to St. Petersburg Russia and have not had a single upgrade, even when the hotel did not appear to be very busy. Last year, while still a Gold, I got a few upgrades at different places.

I don't care about the upgrade much, I like PC for the ability to get the points and the vast number of properties, but it is starting to feel like there is another set of criteria that I am not aware of by which the upgrade gets decided. Anyone has similar experiences or thoughts?

2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I was Plat I almost always got an upgrade, however many of the upgrades were indistinguishable from the room I reserved. :( I did get a few meaningful upgrades. Out of your 8 stays I would think a couple of nice upgrades would be realized. As a Gold, I was never given an upgrade so you are ahead of the game there.

anabolism likes this.
  3. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've always had better luck at HIX properties, especially the newer ones. Usually the upgrade is a pseudo-suite, with a partial dividing wall. I might have had better luck on weekdays, but don't have info to back that up.

Recently, the best perks of being platinum that I have received were restaurant vouchers at 2 or 3 Crowne properties and 1 at an old HI in Corpus Christi. In all of these cases, I stayed on a 5k point saver reward night and received these benefits.

IMO, the best perk is status matching with Radisson - even with Gold status, I am usually treated very nicely at older Radissons. There was one in East Dallas that would regularly give upgrades to a Jacuzzi suite and free breakfast. This one is now closed, doesn't surprise me given the neighborhood and general upkeep (my car was actually broken into here). They also upgrade on reward nights.

4. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got any first born? :D

5. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess that's as good of a reason as any!

6. tomthbomb

tomthbomb Active Member

Status Points:
    I usually get about 100k points per year. sometimes that gets an upgrade, sometimes not. What works the best is my TripAdvisor luggage tag!:D

[​IMG]

anabolism, Switch2, daninstl and 3 others like this.
  7. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Strange to hear. I'm a PL AMB and the only times I do not get upgrades of any kind are if a hotel is completely sold out. But even at Candlewoods Times Square, where all suits are exactly the same, I always get an "upgrade" to a highest floor available. Once in Chicago when I was traveling with my gf and a kid they gave us an upgrade to a suite at CP, and the stay was on a rewards nights!

8. ZCT

ZCT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I book my visits through the PC website, and there is a section for notes, in that section I type, "Platinum guest, please upgrade." If I know they have an executive floor or suites I may be more specific.

When I check in, I ask them if they were able to upgrade my room, at some hotels they already have and at others they do the upgrade right then and there. Very occasionally if the hotel is full you may not get an upgrade, but I'd say I get some form of upgrade 95% of the time.

The trick is to ask, because it is not automatic at many properties.

nacho and FlyingBear like this.
  9. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where can I get a hold of one of those?
    Thanks in advance!

daninstl likes this.
  10. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have I ask / beg them. 90% of the time it won't be automatic. Lack of front desk training I'd say. Also I agree with putting the upgrade request in the comment line of the reservation. It helps some. Oh and don't forget to book through topcashback, etc. I'm getting 15% back plus the points through topcashback right now, sweet.

FlyingBear likes this.
  11. man on the move.

man on the move. Silver Member

Status Points:
    I only make an effort if my wif is with me, or it is a long staff.

The often I visit a specific hotel, the better the upgrades.

I have low floor in my profile, which probably hurts me. But it is safer

anabolism likes this.
  12. I just got a note from the Manila concierge telling me my 2 level upgrade has been noted and I'm in a full suite for my 5 day stay.

13. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this is universally true, across all hotel chains and non-chains as well.

14. tomthbomb

tomthbomb Active Member

Status Points:
    Tripadvisor sent it to me after I posted 50 or so reviews. At about 70 reviews they sent a canvas tote bag with their logo. I don't normally use a tote bag but I find some reason to take it into the hotel when I check in. Works like a charm!:)