What do you want to know about the new 77W??

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Wandering Aramean, Feb 13, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    On Monday afternoon [13 Feb 17] United is running a media/promo flight of the new 77W from ORD to SFO (UA2153). This is the first opportunity for regular folks to get on board and explore the plane tip-to-tail. I got invited to attend meaning I can hopefully get answers to questions about the cabin layouts and such based on what's actually flying.

So, what do you want to know??

2. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does the hardware match the hype (positive and negative)?

3. bmg42000
    Original Member

bmg42000 Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lavs any roomier?

snod08 likes this.
  5. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd be interested in the galley and lav config. On the galleys, what activities happen in what locations? This can be useful information for business class passengers that want to sleep more than eat, which is a feature that UA has highlighted in their marketing.

Aside from that, some definitive information around what J seats are more cocoon-style and, in theory, better for sleeping and what seats are more open, and then which of those actually have more room in the shoulders and whatnot. Sort of a matrix of, "if features A and B are important to you, seats X and Y are best for these reasons..."

Dublin_rfk, FortFun and bmg42000 like this.
  6. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would be curious to know if the people that spent OMG-hundreds-of-thousands of miles to be on the charter flight think it was worth it :)

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will do my best to avoid this aircraft unless I can secure a J award. In which case, personally, I am not going to be super picky about which seat I get. Those of you who paid or had your employer pay full fare can have the perfect seat.

Perhaps seat yourself in an economy aisle seat and tell us how many times you get banged in the head by elbows or backpacks as fellow passengers board and walk down the aisle. :) (this assumes the aisles are even narrower than on other widebodies)

Thanks for taking one for the team! I am totally not jealous.

Olton Hall and Dublin_rfk like this.
  8. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've got 22D next weekend - assuming my GPU doesn't clear. It's a seat I would normally avoid as it has it all. Aisle seat near the lav's and exit row. I can be sure of not getting too much rest there. And 2L the next day.
    After all you can't make a good evaluation without seeing / experiencing both sides.
    I have a October flug to the 'Land of the rising sun' and I need to know if real Polaris is worth not taking an extra connection for one of the last flugs on the 'Queen of the skies' (NRT - SFO)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    <shill>http://blog.wandr.me/2017/02/best-worst-seat-united-new-polaris-777-300er/</shill>

Lots of details about good and bad seats in that post, including some photos. To answer the other questions, the galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so expect it will be busier throughout the flight. Avoid the seats in 6/7/8 as a result (especially 8!).

The aisle in Y is only 18" wide so you'll definitely be bumped a lot in the aisle seats. We didn't have a full house in the back but I know what will come of that.
    Never found them. :oops:

10. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info and seat suggestions. Moved to 9L (9A already taken)
    Where there any free range bears?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  11. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Greatly appreciate @Wandering Aramean blog post. Very detailed and clearly explains good and bad of this aircraft.

12. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just off of 5 hour (EWR SFO) in 2G. For the record I still don't like the 777. Two thumbs up for the Polaris seating. The seat itself is roomy and the tray table function is a terrific step forward - you can side it out of the way enough to exit the seat without juggling. Down side the cabin feels cramped as the modules are a little tall and the aisle is narrow. The lavs nicely designed and at least feel larger than they are. The food, well I don't plan my flights around the food. On this PS service the food didn't rise to the level of bad - the breakfast entree was less than stellar. The scrambled eggs were almost solid, the red potatoes had the look of cooked apples, and the sausages required a lot of effort to chew. The FA's were outstanding. All were long haul and learning the layout. I originally had 22D and I went back and too a look. Huge mistake - self loading cattle comes to mind. IMG_0116.JPG

TAHKUCT, mtbroxs and bmg42000 like this.