What do you want to know about the merger?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Hartmann, Jul 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very interesting to read the mix of questions from the non-FT/MP crowd. Lots of focus on the employee attitude and things like the AmEx MR program that have been answered already.

3. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know, it almost seems like a microcosm of the FT merger threads from the past year+. Maybe the Trib can do the same thing and we can re-produce the other half of the b!tching.

4. J.Edward
    Original Member

J.Edward Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hehe -- the ying and the yang.

Posted a comment/question about MM and the merged Chase product but boy was I taken aback by the amount of sheer @#)(*ing at CO. Wow!

...and the sad/funny/pathetic thing is it would be the exact same if it was posted on the Tribune, just from the UA perspective. <shrug> Oh well.

5. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. Renard
    Original Member

Renard Silver Member

Status Points:
    I poked around in there... a bit funny. Bitter to say the least. All the worship of SWA? Hmm... I've obviously missed something with that.

7. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    People who don't understand that the only real price differentiation between WN and the legacies is bag fees.

rggale likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Like it or not, for most folks $50/person/trip sees a lot of other issues forgiven. Add on that many folks really don't mind the lack of assigned seating and most folks don't have a passport, much less a desire to travel internationally (though that is coming with the FL buy-out) and what's the difference for most customers?

9. below sea level
    Original Member

below sea level Silver Member

Status Points:
    I want to know why they keep calling it a merger when, aside from the CEO, everything seems to be the United product.

COFlyerCLE likes this.
  10. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree that the $50 means something to a lot of people (it means something to me), I just wonder what the opportunity cost and lost revenue is for UA due to those fees. I have a feeling they're not losing tons of business because of them.

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Probably true. And they're probably mostly losing the business that they're OK with losing, assuming there is any loss there. But that doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of voices out there who might represent that business the company is OK with losing, customers who feel their business should have significant value to the company because the expense is significant to them. If you make $50K/year and you take the family to Florida twice at $300/person that's nearly 5% of your gross. I can understand wanting to believe that's a huge impact to the company just like it is to your family, even when it really isn't.
    I don't know why people are willing to trivialize massively complex issues into simplistic statements that are steeped in bias and that do nothing to clarify the issues in a meaningful way. :shrug:

Seriously, continuing claims from either side that the other got everything or nearly everything is myopic and foolish. It does nothing to help us as a customer community or improve the resulting company that we all have to live with.

12. Renard
    Original Member

Renard Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think a lot of this is perception. Being a United flier, this appears to be a wholesale CO takeover. I suspect the CO flier might see it as just the opposite.

13. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    As frequent fliers of either airline, we see what has changed from the status quo, and tend not to notice what has remained unchanged (or that we never experience).

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  14. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    The reality is that its mostly ua on the ff side with management on the ops side. Whats the issue?

15. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does that mean a company should stay static because they are alledgedy finest in the industry despite not being so?

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Which part of my comment gave that impression?

And who gets to judge whether a company is the finest in the industry? Certainly my needs and yours are different and therefore how I rate airline quality will necessarily differ from your ratings. Do we ask everyone? Just some people? A weighted average based on how often they fly at all? Only based on how often they fly for leisure or work?

There is no answer to "Which airline is best?" so it is foolish to pretend there is one.

17. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well Jeff himself announces they are every flight the finest and assume many of the employees feel that way too. The others majors in the usa have improved and most definitely overseas ie india. Co elite travellers should be happy they have swus,cr1s and Ua elite travellers they have a better management.

18. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    In http://milepoint.com/forums/threads...-products-that-have-come-from-ua-vs-co.14201/ I've attempted to list out which company certain policies came from, and it certainly seems to me that there's a fair bit of each company so far in the merged product.