What do you value CC points at?

Discussion in 'Carlson | Club Carlson' started by Wandering Aramean, Feb 9, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm finally getting around to booking my Spring Break hotels for Oslo next month and am faced with a predicament: I had intended to do some hotel hopping and take advantage of the last award night free benefit with the CC but, in looking at the room rates, it seems that I'm able to generally get pretty good deals just buying the room outright. A few examples:

Oslo:
    • $90/night or 50k points - Radisson Blu Scandinavia
    • $85+10K points/night - Park Inn (I'd earn ~10k points back on a 3 night stay so net out of pocket is $250+20k)

Bergen:
    • $125/night or 44k points - Radisson Blu Norge

I don't think I'm going to do all that much better on the cash rates (and they're refundable) so I'm locking those in. And, while it seems a shame to skip the last night free benefit of the card, I'm not so sure I'd be getting decent value from it. I've got the points to use if I want to thanks to the CC sign-up bonus but this seems like a waste of them. Am I crazy to pay cash on these bookings?

Sweet Willie and mht_flyer like this.
  2. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those sound like great cash rates to me. Most of my CC bookings have been at 9,000 or 15,000 points for hotels which would otherwise cost me $80 -100.

icurhere2, Sweet Willie and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    90/night for the Scandinavia is a great deal. I've stayed there twice on business and it was over 250 a night.

Oslo is a very expensive city, so that's a great deal. If it includes breakfast even better. They have a pretty good breakfast there.

Sweet Willie and LETTERBOY like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    easy decision, buy the room, nice find on the rates

My experience with Club Carlson is to use points for either low tier (cheap award) redemptions or high tier properties (during high demand season) when cash rates are outrageous. (i.e. recent 50k per night redemption at a Radisson Caribbean property between Christmas/NYE, rates were $680 a night, I was quite pleased using points)

miles and smiles likes this.