What do you think of this App-o-Rama?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by michael21, May 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Citi Premier 50k $3000 spend
    Citi AA 2x50k $6000 combined spend
    Chase BA 50k 0 spend
    explorer 30-50 k 0 spend
    Sapphire 40k $3000 spend
    barclays 40k 0 spend

The goal is to accumulate points for business class to Europe (any maybe for hotels in said cities)...Questions? Comments? Any recommendations?

2. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a pretty heavy load, including 3 each at Citi and Chase. You will probably have a hard time getting approved for that many personal cards with each of those banks at the same time. I am clearly more conservative and don't like the idea of applying for more than 3-4 cards at a time, but I would be VERY cautious about applying for that many personal cards at a single bank. There are some reports of successful app-o-ramas like yours, but there are at least as many reports of people getting denials on the 2nd and 3rd cards with the same bank. Have you considered doing an Amex or a BoA/BoH instead? Could do Amex HHonors, SPG, Delta, etc., all of which would be useful for flights and hotels in Europe. If you did the BoA and/or BoH Hawaiian Air card, you can convert those to HHonors points at 2:1. That's 70k HHonors per card with the 35k mile offer.

There's also a good offer from SunTrust for opening a checking account and SkyMiles debit card. 30k SkyMiles per account there, if you're in one of the eligible states. That plus an Amex Skymiles Gold or Platinum, depending on best offer out there right now, will get you pretty well on your way to a business class roundtrip to Europe. Shouldn't require a hard credit pull either. It will cost $75 for the first year with the debit card, but that's 1/2 cent per mile if you just analyze the additional 15k for the debit card.

3. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very valid points...As far as Citi goes the 2 AA cards really should count as only one because of the one inquiry and we got a thing in the mail to apply for the citi premeir so I don't think those should be the problem. With Chase, they're sticklers so I might apply for the explorer, then 2-3 weeks right before the BA offer goes away do the BA, The barclays and you are right about AMEX but the SPG is only 10k after first purchase. I'm not looking for the big spends...what other AMEX card would recommend?

4. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    Citi will process only 2 personal applications within a 65 day period, so you almost certainly will get automatically denied for the 3rd card.

I also wouldn't do all 3 Chase cards at once - perhaps only 2 of the 3 and expect to call the reconsideration line to get approved for the 2nd Chase card. Also, the United Explorer has a 50K sign up bonus, 5K for adding an additional user, and a $50 statement credit, so try to apply for that version. Or ask to get matched to that version.

I'd also consider the AMEX SPG (Starwood) card to use for hotels in Europe. And the Bank of America Virgin Atlantic for the 50K sign up bonus which transfers to 100K Hilton points for hotel stays.

Good luck!

MX likes this.
  5. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    IME with Chase I prefer batching my apps together rather than spreading them between 2-3 weeks. I have successfully gotten 3 Chase cards in one sitting, but I did have to call reconsideration. Not a biggie though.

In terms of the others, I am not equipped to respond properly, so I will just keep it at that.

6. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree with the others. IMO drop the Premier and Chase BA.

This will leave you with:

2xCiti @ 50k mi/card = 1x Biz to europe
    Explorer + Sapphire + min spend + misc spend = 1x Biz to Europe
    US Card = 40k miles (but it hits TU, so it SHOULD be easier to get. you might also be able to churn)

Problem is, you have 0 hotel points in this AOR. As Million Mile Secrets says, you could consider SPG for hotels. Might want to consider US airways biz card for an extra 25k with no spend if you can swing it.

Real questions are:
    1) Can your score take the hit? Have you looked at your report lately?
    2) Can you hit the min spend? Personally, 9k would be rough and if you add SPG, it's another 5k over 6 mo.

7. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to offer a contrary opinion to the others and say you should get the BA card especially if the 100k without a minimum spend is still available. If your goal is two tickets to Europe in business class you accomplish that with the two AA card and the BA card. Why muddy the water with the united card? Save that for another goal. You also don't need the thank you card.

I would swap out the thank you card with the Hyatt card if you will be in cities with Hyatt properties. I would also not get the US Air card just yet. You may want to save that for the grand slam if that happens again later this year.

You will need to space out your chase apps too. I would apply for the AA and BA cards first, then 91 days later focus on hotel. SPG and sapphire and then 91 days later Hyatt and maybe us air if Grand Slam is going on. Also by waiting until August for SPG the 30k offer will likely return again.

Good luck.

LarryInNYC likes this.
  8. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good points. I was actually thinking along those lines. We won't be using these points for awhile so I want to get cards that are good deals now that may not be there next year so that means the 2xAA-hopefully, and the united. How would the BA help? Wouldn't I need to fly BA and pay those nutty fuel charges?

9. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    BA and AA are one world carriers so you can redeem BA on AA metal and vice versa. UA is not in the same alliance so it cannot be redeemed on AA or BA metal. Which is why I think, for your needs, you do not need the UA card.

10. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is the Grand Slam hit from receiving the card or from using the card? I thought it was the later, in which case you want to receive the card before the Grand Slam.

Otherwise, very well considered advice.

11. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought it was potentially both. Where's mommy points when we need her?

12. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's 8pm in Texas. She's putting her daughter to bed.

13. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Grand Slam hit is from using the card, NOT from signing-up for the card. You get the "hit" when your statement closes and the points transfer to your US Air account during the Grand Slam.

14. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you use the avois on AA?

15. SDFlyer

SDFlyer Active Member

Status Points:
    yep.........value is on short hop US domestics

16. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can I combine them with AA?

17. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    No technically they are avios points even though you can use them on AA metal.

18. Global Explat
    Original Member

Global Explat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pretty good value for short hop in Europe also, if any intention of flying once you get here. eg London (LHR)->Berlin (TXL) return is 9000 avios +$40.

SDFlyer likes this.
  19. SDFlyer

SDFlyer Active Member

Status Points:
    Agreed...........We were able to score 2 Air Lingus business class seats BOS to DUB 100k and $330 for August ;)