What do you think of the new Rapid Rewards?

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by Lynda, Jun 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

?

Do you prefer the new or the old Southwest Rapid Rewards?

Poll closed Jul 9, 2011.
  1. I prefer the old version

100.0%
  2. I prefer the new version

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I'm not sure yet which version I like best

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I think they're about the same

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lynda
    Original Member

Lynda Milepoint Staff

Status Points:
    InsideFlyer magazine is writing an article about the new Rapid Rewards now that members have had a few months to get to know the program.

We would like to hear your thoughts on the new vs. the old Rapid Rewards. I'm including a quick poll, but would also be interested to read your comments about the program.

And, if you'd like, please answer the questions below.

What one thing about the new Rapid Rewards do you like the most?
    What one thing about the new Rapid Rewards do you dislike the most?
    What one thing about the old Rapid Rewards do you miss the most?

Thank you. You'll be able to read the article for the August issue at InsideFlyer.com (the article will be free to access).

2. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What one thing about the new Rapid Rewards do you like the most?
    -Increase in valuation of Chase credit card RR points.
    What one thing about the new Rapid Rewards do you dislike the most?
    -Decrease in valuation of short haul flight credits.
    What one thing about the old Rapid Rewards do you miss the most?
    -Flexible rewards that could be used on any route even at the last minute (pending availability).

3. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the fact that there is no longer an expiration date on free flights earned.

I dislike most of the new program. There are very few "improvements" as far as I can see. I always fly the the same route so I dislike that it takes more flights to earn the same free flight I would have earned before.

I miss that you don't earn a ticket based on flights flown, but on price paid. Can't stand the points system in earning and redeeming for flights. Much too complicated now. I wish we had the simplicity of the former program.

MyMiles&Points likes this.
  4. MyMiles&Points
    Original Member

MyMiles&Points Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    "I wish we had the simplicity of the former program"

Spot on. All my family and friends have been asking me how the new system works. They could understand fly 16 times and get a free flight. these different levels and having and redeeming points makes their eyes glaze over

5. muflyer

muflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. I liked the simplicity of the old program and the fact that awards could be topped off fairliy easily (e.g. car rentals, hotels, CC spending), but especially on lower priced flights. I do like that the points don't expire. Now, its simply difficult to know if you are really achieving or moving towards your dream trip as you have essentially a moving target (fares and inventory change).

6. I've pretty much stopped flying SW with the change. I never worried about expiring points, but have had to pay my $50 many times to renew a ticket. I guess that will end soon.

Negatives:
    I also liked the simplicity of the old program.
    I didn't like that my existing points towards a free trip were devalued so much.
    Looking at redeeming a ticket will clean out my whole balance. I've seen Wanna Fly Away seats cost 20K points & more.
    The old way of building points was great.
    I'm moving my loyalties to AA & hotel programs now. See ya SW.