What Do You Think About This Berlin Hotel's Housekeeping Policy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, May 20, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the idea. I'm usually at the clients site by 8:00 AM. I hate to come back to the room at 4:30 or later and the room is not cleaned. Then I am doing some work for other clients, and here comes the maid to clean my room. Sometimes I tell them to leave it and sometimes I will leave so they can clean it.

ralfkrippner, uggboy and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is also the issue of NEVER hanging a "clean my room" as it is a notice to some that you are not in your room. Thieves have been known to use this to their advantage.

4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well spotted, that's another issue which is solved here with the new cleaning regime offered by this hotel. Thanks for pointing this out.

anileze and gregm like this.
  5. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hanging a "I WANNA BE DISTURBED" sign on the door is akin to hanging a "CLEAN MY ROOM" sign.
    In both cases, it usually means you are out.
    Could it not be arranged for using an app and the housekeepers with a phablet / tablet having a companion app to see who has requested for room service.
    Many hotel chains has apps but they usually are for bookings and pre-arrival requests. I suspect those only triggers forms or emails to the reservation teams.
    If these apps can be expended to housekeeping, room service, wake-up calls etc, it would be nice.Kind of like where a lot of airlines are moving with their mobile services. Check-ins, reservations, seat selections, notifications, baggage tracking, information etc.

estnet, uggboy and LETTERBOY like this.
  6. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bingo. I prefer the "DND" over the "Rob My Room" hangtag.

7. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tell the reception, or if I spot someone on the floor while going out, to have my room cleaned. It has always worked. It is specially useful in the islands, where the housekeeping gets to your room late afternoon. The only place it did not make an *iota* of a difference was in Bucharest.

8. zgsghkb

zgsghkb Active Member

Status Points:
    Signs on doors are a thing of the previous centuries. While Do Not Disturb can be helpful if you are in a hotel with a large group and you want some quiet time, I agree it makes no sense to use this method to notify housekeeping of anything. Smart phone apps could notify the desk of you leaving your room so that the room can be serviced, or calling the desk to say you are going out for a while and ask that your room be cleaned, etc. The current system is hit and miss at best...if the hotel staff person is near your room when you go out and you can communicate that, great...but 9 times out of 10 that does not happen. Modernize the whole process.

9. ralfkrippner
    Original Member

ralfkrippner Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like their way of thinking and as long as the guest knows and understands the policy IMO it's a win/win. Maybe they should extend their hours to the early afternoon, it seems noon is their current cut-off time.

Laptop Nomad and uggboy like this.