What do you prefer? Input needed for website...

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by ranman1973, May 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ranman1973

ranman1973 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi gang. Many of you know that I run the website www.hoteldealsrevealed.com.

On the above site, I collect information about hotels known to be on Hotwire and Priceline, and put these into curated Priceline or Hotwire hotel lists. These, in turn, can be used before you bid to help mitigate your risk by telling you what hotel you might get before bidding.

I have 2 variations of the hotel list lookup page, and I'd love your input on which you prefer:

Variation 1: User enters city name in search bar. Has auto-complete, but typos and misspelled cities are hard to handle.
    http://www.hoteldealsrevealed.com/hotelinventory/

Variation 2: User chooses from master list of cities, which are in alphabetical order by state.
    http://www.hoteldealsrevealed.com/hotwire-hotel-lists/
    http://www.hoteldealsrevealed.com/pr...e-hotel-lists/

What do you prefer?

Mods, hope its okay to post this here.... I've asked around on other travel communities, most seem okay with this.

Gargoyle, Mapsmith and rockyrock like this.
  2. rockyrock

rockyrock Silver Member

Status Points:
    What a great service, I'll start using it from now on.

I prefer Var. 2 as long as it's all inclusive.

Mapsmith likes this.
  3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems like there might be some problems with both. To be honest, the typos might work out. Seems like there should be a program out there that recognizes commonly misspelled cities. (I live in Tucson, the second most mispelled city in the US. But often find that the misspelling will bring up the proper spelling)

And I wonder about suburbia. Checking for Phoenix, the first that comes up is Carefree. About an hour north of the Airport. And what is the difference between Central and Downtown?

How about Airport codes?

My preference would be to include maps like Priceline and Hotwire do. Click on the maps and there you have the deals.

Still seems like a good idea. Now if I can just get back to traveling.

I have now added your site to my bookmarks.

4. ranman1973

ranman1973 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey thanks for the suggestions. Some cool ideas!

Mapsmith likes this.
  5. Tom Green

Tom Green Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1 for version 2, and I echo the sentiments about the great service. Another tool to use when bidding for travel.

As for misspelled words, I didn't know the correct spelling of Connecticut until I was about 30 years old.

Mapsmith and anileze like this.
  6. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I prefer the 2nd too.

Mapsmith likes this.