What Do You Normally Redeem with your AE Mileages?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by Rejuvenated, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally for me the last couple of years, they've been spent mostly on *A RT F award tix and I have successfully redeemed them among various carriers which include SQ, LH, OZ, NH, and LX.

The only time I've been successful in redeeming AC's Best Value Rewards for Executive was actually last month YYZ-YUL rt for travel next month. This is one of the rare routes that.....well.....rarely has shortages for an Executive Best Value Rewards. [​IMG]

2. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    All my points have been used to buy reward seats for daughter and friend in the UK.
    Getting harder to find UK / business class rewards for the 80,000 points though.

Just last week got a YVR-YOW return for 25,000 for daughter. ( economy )
    Taxes weren't too bad on that as well... so pleased with that.

The taxes for LHR reward seats are shockingly horrible though [​IMG]

AC_MM likes this.
  3. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't redeemed any for ages -- am just about finished using up my DL (ex-NW) points now, but it took a while as I don't have enough time for vacations.

I think for next year I'll have to figure out whether *A can get me to Africa ... otherwise, maybe a mini-RTW?

4. fly-yul
    Original Member

fly-yul Active Member

Status Points:
    Just did my first redemption in a while. I used 25k to allow a domestic stopover on one leg. The alternative was to spend about 1400$ on AC to effectively buy 3 o/w fares.

5. maradori
    Original Member

maradori Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lots and lots of toasters!

cptnkirk77 and janyyc like this.
  6. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    We use mine for AE reward travel, as well as Indigo gift cards and other items of interest. Given I cannot keep my account balance below 600K may as well enjoy the points for things we want. I do not care about redemption levels, value of points, etc. More important things for me to worry about... here mousie mousie

7. xray
    Original Member

xray Active Member

Status Points:
    Usually redeem for one transcon F trip a year for me and DH... booked a year in advance usually. I will check for availability for other trips we take but usually no J Classic awards around.

8. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am dwindling my account down as the TB fees are getting crazy, but in the past year, I have used it for last minute short-haul tickets and donating my miles to Médecins Sans Frontières.

If the rules do not change, I may consider building them up the account to redeem for a mini-RTW (drooool!) [​IMG]

9. SYM
    Original Member

SYM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe a dumb question - why can't you? Is this some ball and chain associated with MM status?

10. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because I have too many miles coming in from bonus miles, credit cards, etc... I meant it is hard to spend enough every year to keep it below 600K :) I know, everyone should have this problem :)

11. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    lately, J flights between YVR and YYZ

12. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Only ever redeemed miles 2x. First was for a J seat between ORD and YEG on UA and I now use that flight as an indicator of how low the service bar can be set in North America. Second redemption was for a mini-rtw in F which I'm hoping will be on the other end of the perceived value for miles when looking at the service alone.

13. AC_MM
    Original Member

AC_MM Silver Member

Status Points:
    I tend to redeem for Star Alliance awards and Star partner flights, I just can't get my head around all of the taxes and surcharges on AC rewards especially into LHR, especially when there are other options and it's my pocket paying the bill.

The only time i stray from this strategy is when a direct flight on AC or aircraft or pods availability for a long haul flight make it a better option to fly AC.

flying-gal likes this.
  14. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought roosters could fly - what do they need redemption for (AE redemption that is ) :)

AC_MM likes this.
  15. AC_MM
    Original Member

AC_MM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well the wings get a bit sore on long hauls![​IMG]

ACMM likes this.
  16. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    i have access to three accounts with 120K each but really no time to go on a RTW F trip...so that will mean 9 J trips between YVR and YYZ...well, 3 for 3 of us.

17. yyzgigi
    Original Member

yyzgigi Active Member

Status Points:
    Try to do business or first class long haul or last minute short hauls in Y when they are over priced. This year so far I've booked J to NZ and F to Russia. Didn't maximize either with an around the world, did one last year, but found although a comfortable way to travel it was a lot of time in transit.

Still would like to see F on SQ, but have pretty much stopped looking for that.

18. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    I kept wondering where all your cash reserved from the lack of gas spending went to. [​IMG] Now I know. [​IMG]

19. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last Minute J class tickets in Asia.

20. jarusoba
    Original Member

jarusoba Silver Member

Status Points:
    1. Intra Asia flights
    2. Asia via Europe in F
    3. Asia via YYZ to Europe in J

21. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use them primarily for short haul trips if I am out of pocket. A 15K ticket to MDT was $125 in taxes as opposed to over $600 (tax included) for a regular ticket. I think this is a good use of miles.

When available, I also use the 15K option to MSP, when visiting family. Right now in the process of saving for a family trip in December.

A couple of years ago, my wife used 200K for our YYZ-YVR-ICN-HKG-PKG-YYZ trip in J. Flew on Air Canada, Singapore Airlines, Asiana and Air China. Quite the Star Alliance adventure [​IMG].

22. AC_MM
    Original Member

AC_MM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just finished up booking a J class award for the period over next Christmas and New Year's nothing like planning ahead!:)

i have to say I had the best Aeroplan rep that I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with, ever!. She was simply brilliant!

At first I spoke to one agent and it was "no can't be done", "no there are no J class seats available anywhere", "book economy" and so on .

The first agent informed me that it was then the end of her shift and that she had to leave, so she passed me on to the new super agent.

Within seconds my new super agent had found me a J class seat to Sydney via Frankfurt and Bangkok in J, then back via Auckland and Tokyo again in J, with the bonus of four days in Japan. A place that has been on my bucket list forever.

Tomorrow I am going to write a compliment letter to thank her for her efforts. An outstanding experience tonight, wish they could all be the same.. .

jarusoba and ACMM like this.
  23. jarusoba
    Original Member

jarusoba Silver Member

Status Points:
    We have booked a similar trip around xmas too.
    YYZ-NRT(Overnight stop)-HKG(Stop)-BKK(10 hours)-MEL (MEL-CHC-ZQN-AKL-SYD purchased tickets) SYD-ICN(overnight stop)-NRT(Stop)-YYZ

I still want to change the BKK-MEL flight because the aircraft type is [​IMG]. I'm thinking of YYZ-NRT-AKL instead but there is no NZ availability![​IMG] I'll hope and pray...

The purchased portion AKL-SYD will be EK F. Just to sample their shower[​IMG]

24. SVJ
    Original Member

SVJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Star redemption for two in F for travel via Europe to Asia once per year [​IMG]. Other redemptions recently... 2 daughters on NA J redemptions. Need to manage points carefully due to 7 year rule!

25. Tax Dude
    Original Member

Tax Dude Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use my AP miles for flights where it would cost me more than about 3 or 4 cents per mile to buy the ticket. I almost never redeem for economy class - only if I'm giving someone an international ticket and there's no business class availability. My latest redemption was made a couple days ago for a YYZ-HKG trip my wife and I are planning in the fall. Even though the SE IKK benefit is not what it used to be, I was able to get the direct flights on pretty much exactly the days I wanted.