What Do You Do?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by avflyer, Jan 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am frequently annoyed by the people who do not turn off their gizmos when instructed to do so. Just as often, I observe they put them into sleep mode, not entirely powering down.

Now, I am not thrilled with this rule and I have read both side of the debate. However, if I can't use my pad / phone / laptop, what gives anyone else the right to do so? What if they are indeed endangering the aircraft by not following instructions? Are they just stupid or do they think that they are God's gift and the rules don't apply to them?

The question is....do you tattle on your fellow pax, do you just nudge them and remind them, or do you just not care?

YULtide, goalie and Jimgotkp like this.
  2. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    IME, the FAs sweep the aircraft to admonish sinners. YMMV

doc and avflyer like this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I do not care since I would rather not have a confrontation with my seatmate especially if it's a long flight. This is an interesting topic since I was sitting next to a US pilot during a US flight from CLT-EWR and he was using his cell phone throughout the flight trying to send text messages and other stuff? Pilots not even following the rules they enforce when they're in the cockpit...

doc, 2soonold, avflyer and 2 others like this.
  4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that is the answer.

doc and avflyer like this.
  5. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    :(

avflyer likes this.
  6. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

NYCUA1K, avflyer and Jett Rink like this.
  7. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMHO, rules are rules and unless they changed I think we should follow them.

Also, my understanding, that there is no way a cell phone can get a signal from a tower 35,000 feet below and at ground speeds over 500 miles per hour. So the only time it is actually possible to use your cell phone is during 10-15 minutes before takeoff and 10-15 minutes after landing.

avflyer likes this.
  8. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    My defected Galaxy S that turned itself on and off at will, managed to turn on over Iceland and before I shut it down (a process that required waiting for complete boot!) it acquired a quite good signal for about 30 seconds.

avflyer likes this.
  9. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you know on how high were you flying?

avflyer likes this.
  10. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    I usually slowly turned to them and ask "Do you want us all to die? We are all going to die if you don't turn off that bb!"

Then I go to sleep. It works about 80% of the time.

avflyer likes this.
  11. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I completely power off my phone and yes, it pi$$es me off when I see pax texting (or otherwise "tapping away") and as such, I have resigned myself to if I can make eye contact with one of the F/A's, I rat out the pax-just ask Ms. 8H on UA972 this past Saturday or my seatmate last night on UA907*. Sorry but rulez iz rulez and if you don't like them, get them changed but don't be breaking them in front of me.

*My seatmate was absolutely clueless as to how they were busted ;)

avflyer likes this.
  12. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    a little dramatic?

I don't worry about it. The electronics really don't effect it.

ON SQ 25 half of C class was on tech devices during taxi trying to see who won the nfl Saints/ 49ers game

avflyer likes this.
  13. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    30k feet or so. Was quite surprising.

TAHKUCT and avflyer like this.
  14. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is indeed.

15. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    [quote="avflyer, post: 1159598"
    The question is....do you tattle on your fellow pax, do you just nudge them and remind them, or do you just not care?[/quote]

I let the pros do their jobs -- but quite often, my seat mate is Mrs DTWBOB.

What really irks me is people who think they can drive and use a cell phone at the same time, they're orders of magnitude more dangerous that people who try to use cell phones and other similar toys on planes at the wrong times.

DTWBOB

16. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    A few people that were seated around me the other day were chatting when the planes landed about how their phones magically got email during flight. The most logical conclusion they came to was that we passed so closely by another airplane that had wifi we must have picked it up. I sat there depressed at life knowing (and having witnessed) that at least one person in this group had their phone on and active the whole flight. Besides the fact that it will totally drain their battery by the time they land I still think lots of people are simply forgetting to/don't understand what it means to turn-off a device.

TAHKUCT likes this.