What do you do with 2+ hrs at an airport?

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by ctporter, Mar 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you ever get done with work with more than enough time that you end up at an airport with more than 2 hrs before your flight? (assuming of course you are not more than 4 hrs for those times when AS agents are not on duty yet) There have been times when I got done early (way too early in fact) and have gone to a public library to do some work before heading to an airport. But, once there, if you are there with over an hour to wait, what do you do? (go to a lounge? what if no lounge is open?)

CTP
    (currently thinking profoundly)

bakedpatato, sobore and jbcarioca like this.
  2. beckoa
    Original Member

beckoa Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hang out in lounges- if the airport is large enough I'll hop. Otherwise if the lounge is not open I'll try to take a nap, or wander around in the case of our redeye flights from ANC. Helps when there is wifi either way.

bakedpatato, ctporter and jbcarioca like this.
  3. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    I generally get off work and get on a plane 30 minutes later. Yes, working at the airport has its advantages. ;)

But when I do have extra time (which I can't remember the last time it happened), I either occupy myself on my laptop (if there's wifi) or on my iPhone (if not)...typically on F--er, The Other Board.

Layovers are different story.

If it's a short layover (less than three hours) and I've never been to the airport before, I'll walk the length, width, and breadth of the entire airport. Not only do I find airports fascinating, I find having a mental image of the airport helps when I need to make a tight connection later in life. (My visual memory is pretty long-lasting.) Usually I'll do this first and then start lounge-hopping so I can see all the lounges, too.

If the layover is more than about three hours, I try to find some way to leave the airport and explore the surrounding area. Cities with rail service directly to the airport are my favorite (I've used rail on layovers at SEA, PDX, SFO, and MSP); despite all its flaws, LAX remains a favorite connecting point of mine due to the proximity of In-N-Out and El Tarasco.

And if it's a familiar connection point (mostly SEA) and a layover that's too short or at an odd time for a venture into the city, I'll just hang out in the lounge or a central atrium area and head back to F--er, The Other Board. ;)

4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Other than catch up on milepoint? What's the point?

sobore likes this.
  5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I work more effectively on planes or at the airport than I do in the office... I guess with nothing better to do or any distractions I can actually focus on doing reports, sending more constructive/informative emails, etc.

When I flew LAX-JFK-VCE, I did a basic capacity analysis, completed a flow chart, completed a six page procedure document, and drafted up an email and attached the said documents, so when I arrived in VCE all I had to do was click send.

Last Jan, my boss needed a report that highlighted key issues in the software we were working on that needed to be resolved and answer key questions from the IT Director. He called me asking for the report while I was in the CLE PC and I had the report ready when I reached my hotel in DEN and we talked over the phone discussing the report preparing him for his meeting with the IT Director the next day.

In my office, it seems like someone would disrupt me every 20 minutes and the meetings do not help.

Maybe I should make planes and lounges my office :D Also, where can you do work while enjoying a glass of good beer during normal working hours?

Exiled in Express and ctporter like this.
  8. cheepneezy
    Original Member

cheepneezy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lounge and/or empty gate area to get away from people. Depending on the airport and which camera I'm carrying with me, plane spotting/photos.

9. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I telecommute, so often my "office" is the hotel room at night, a local library, or preflight at the airport. Once I am on the plane I rarely do much work. Either the flight is too short to get much done, or the person in front of me has reclined which makes working impossible (when in coach), or I have already put in more than 8 hrs that day and I figure that is "my time" and so I enjoy a glass or more of red wine :)

I do love it when there is a lounge I can work in before my flight though. I do get a lot done there plus it is great to have a glass of wine there as well.

jackal likes this.
  10. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, it sounds kind of silly, but if no lounge is available, I will often grab a beverage, find a relatively quiet, out-of-the-way corner, and re-pack my computer bag. I have a bad habit of haphazardly throwing things in there, to the point that I can't find something I need at a moment's notice.

Foe example, if I'm flying home, the re-packing process lets me locate my car keys and the little card that the parking shuttle with my parking space number written on it - this way, I'm not fumbling for those things later when my hands are full, etc.

ctporter likes this.
  11. I always get delayed in Atlanta and so I do what my Grandfather use to love to do in the malls.. People Watch.. just watching people and their uniqueness..

Grace, ctporter and jackal like this.
  12. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    I detect a trend...one that I like. :D

Exiled in Express and Golfingboy like this.
  13. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't sound silly at all to me! I do that also, I hate trying to find my house keys when it is dark or pouring rain etc. On my last trip down to OAK it rained like crazy and I was completely soaked. I ended up changing clothes in the restroom just to get warm. Then I went to Chili's and had some red wine :)

jackal and cheepneezy like this.
  14. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    I usually head to the airport straight from work. Since i take the commuter bus to the airport i always end up there about 3 hours before departure. If I leave any later i cant get to the airport in time.

Then you have people like Beckoa, who constantly goes to the boardroom when not traveling ;)

jackal likes this.
  15. beckoa
    Original Member

beckoa Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey now.... its only around once a week... some FTers have visited more often...

16. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not on average... :p

17. FlyingVizzer
    Original Member

FlyingVizzer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If the lounge is not open, I would just grab a seat in a section where no flights are scheduled so that the area is empty and play angry birds on my phone. If I do that, the challenge is not to miss my flight. That game is mysteriously addictive.

jackal likes this.