What do you do when a points/miles transfer doesn't happen?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by OverThereTooMuch, Sep 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. OverThereTooMuch

OverThereTooMuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm rapidly approaching the 30 day deadline for a transfer into the Hilton program. I've already tried calling both sides of the transfer, and they both say there's nothing that can be done to track the current status. I find that difficult to believe. I assume what they mean is that the phone CSR's have no way to track it. I'm sure that someone, somewhere can track it.

At the 30 day mark, I want to get this escalated, and I assume that won't be easy. Has anyone been through this procedure before? Perhaps if I know what this process is called on the Hilton side, it might make things easier (especially if the CSR I get has never had to process a request like this before).

Camino Cielo likes this.
  2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    First thing is what program are you transferring from?
    Does the program you are transferring from show the reduction in your points?

Key is to talk to the program where the points are coming FROM. Hilton can not trace anything that they have no knowledge of.

OverThereTooMuch likes this.
  3. OverThereTooMuch

Status Points:
    Transferring from Virgin Atlantic. Their system shows the reduction in points. It's Hilton who says it'll take 30 days. Since it's not in the Virgin system anymore, I assumed that Hilton would be the one to track it.

4. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It is not just Hilton that says it may take up to 30 days......the Virgin web site also states the same thing. Based on this, I don't think you will get anyone to push the transfer until the 30 days are up.

5. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://milevalue.com/transferring-virgin-atlantic-miles-to-hilton-hhonors-points/

Milevalue says his transfer only took 5 days. I called in for a transfer from Virgin Atlantic on Saturday, September 1, and my Virgin points were gone in 2 days (possibly a day, I didn't check on Sunday). I'm curious to know how long your transfer takes, and I'll give an update when my HHonors points post.

I'm hoping to use my points for a single night stay in a couple weeks, but I'm not sure that'll be possible.

6. OverThereTooMuch

Status Points:
    Yeah, I read a lot of other posts on this before doing the transfer. I think the longest one took about 10 or 11 days. Of course my transfer has to be more complicated :mad: I'm guessing at this point that there's some sort of problem. Based off other posts, they won't tell you that there's a problem, or if the transfer fails. Basically it's up to you to keep on top of it.

The points were gone from my Virgin account in < 1 day. The rest of the time I've been waiting for them to appear in my Hilton account.

7. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did your HHonors points ever appear?

My points posted yesterday, September 10th, so it took 9 days for my transfer to be completed.

8. OverThereTooMuch

Status Points:
    As I suspected, Hilton should've been able to track it AND there was a problem.

My points did finally appear. It took >30 days and multiple contacts with HHonors for them to show up in my account. The transfer appears to have actually completed in <7, the issue was doing some other step to make them visible to my account. But before even investigating, they blamed the issue on Virgin. Thumbs down to the 3 careless reps at Hilton that dealt with my issue, and HUGE thumbs up to the very proactive person at Virgin Atlantic Flying Club customer service who investigated, gave me specific details and reached out to Hilton to solve the problem. Once they did that, the points appeared in <24 hours.

9. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Glad that you finally got it resolved. Is there any "lesson learned" for the rest of us?

Camino Cielo and Mikus33 like this.
  10. OverThereTooMuch

Status Points:
    Call instead of relying on email. The first rep (phone;before 30 days) clearly didn't do any deep digging. The second rep (email;after 30 days) didn't either. At least via the phone, you can tell if they are really investigating and ask to push it to a supervisor.

That would've cut a few days off the experience. Unfortunately, since the 30 day policy is posted, it's going to be pretty tough to get either side to care before that date.

Camino Cielo and IDGflygirl like this.