What do I do with 40,000 US points?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by tarajane82, Dec 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I'm new to this site and to having points. Over a year I collected 40,000 points on USAir and have to come to learn that will barely get me anything. If I want an overseas upgrade to buisness class it will eat up all my points AND will cost me $300. What do I do? This stinks!

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MIlePoint!

I am not an expert in US' program. But in general terms, look at the cost differential between a business class seat and the coach seat you are required to buy and see what value that assigns to your miles (including the copayment of $300 in the calculation). Then look at alternative uses for the miles (eg a domestic round trip) and what you'd get for your miles in that case. Be sure to consider that an outright award earns no new miles while an upgrade award earns you coach miles.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  3. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint tarajane82!

40,000 points doesn't get you much, but with the US Airways 100% buy miles promotion right now you could buy 40k miles and get 40k bonus (total of 120k) and fly US-North Asia in First Class on star alliance partners and just pay the taxes and fees (in addition to the miles you purchase)! If you're looking to be more conservative, you could book US-EU in business class by buying 30k + 30k bonus which would give you the 100k miles necessary to make that trip happen. Check http://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/programdetails/purchasemiles/default.html to see how much that would cost you. Check http://www.usairways.com/pv_obj_cac...5D918078C0000/filename/partnerawardtravel.pdf for the full star alliance award travel chart.

I used US Airways miles to book the trip in my signature below on Lufthansa First Class. Cost was 125k miles + ~$200.

dogwalker and TheBeerHunter like this.
  4. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Another thing you can do is apply for the US Airways credit card. It has a 40,000 mile sign up bonus. You get the bonus with your first billing cycle where you have had a purchase. The annual fee is also waived for the first year.
    The link on the US Airways site is not the best sign up bonus. Here is the link that I have used:

http://www.mostmiles.com/Chairmans

slotownmomma likes this.
  5. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    US Airways offers off-peak awards (60k for business/Envoy and 35k for coach) to Europe mid-January through the end of February. They also have other off-peak awards throughout the year to different areas. Look at the bottom of the award chart page for details on off-peak awards and dates. Like mentioned above, you can also use US Airways Dividend Miles for flights on Star Alliance partners.

You may want to consider getting a US Airways credit card. Their current best offer is 40k after first purchase and one benefit of the card is a -5k deduction on award redemptions (on US metal), meaning a 25k flight would cost only 20k.

Welcome to MP and don't hesitate to ask any questions. Having 40k US Airways miles is actually a good thing.

EDIT: deant beat me to the credit card suggestion :)

6. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    you can give them to me and I will make them disappear:D

7. slotownmomma
    Original Member

slotownmomma Silver Member

Status Points:
    I second this. This is the best thing you can do to boost your miles balance and get you to Europe. I just got this card earlier this year during the U.S. Airways Grand Slam promo. The promo gave you hits for activity with different partners of the airlines and you could earn different bonus amounts based upon the hits you had. This sign up offer is what I like to call the "pack of gum" offer. Just get the card and charge a pack of gum and the miles are yours. The first year annual fee is waived, so you're set.