What differences (good or bad) do you notice flying on carriers other than your primary one?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by mattsteg, May 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seeing various threads come up describing some of the changes at UA/CO reminded me how much we all get acclimated to the product of whatever airline we normally fly - somewhat numb to much of the good and the bad. When I do end up on other carriers, I tend to notice a lot of things tht I never pay attention to on DL and maybe take for granted, beyond the obvious of having status on DL and not on others.

The WN experience is mostly horrid. Just don't get the appeal. Did do a nice job of rolling our beverage service on a short hop, though.
    Back to front boarding is not the way to go, CO. Bad move standardizing there.
    Niceties like snacks in coach, blankets and pillows in first are no longer bare minimum standards to be expected
    Leather seats are nice.

For all the flak Delta gets over Skymiles, I appreciate the domestic product, at least in Y (can't really compare F). How much this is me recognizing what's missing when I fly elsewhere vs. what advantages are there to be discovered I'm not sure.

What do you notice/miss when "switching it up"? What are the little touches that differentiate your primary carrier?

2. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Two words: Economy Plus.

sobore and mattsteg like this.
  3. Frequent Freak
    Original Member

Frequent Freak Silver Member

Status Points:
    No CEO telling me how much I'm going to like the changes they're making.

mattsteg likes this.
  4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or in my case, no wagging finger.
    [​IMG]

5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    These words can not be said enough!

ctporter likes this.
  6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll try out EC internationally some time, but to be honest pitch is not what I miss most in Y and it's easy enough to grab an exit row if needed.

7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I realize a few of the comments have been about UA/CO whatever it is called now- however one carrier where I notice quite a difference is TG- the staff are so exceptionally polite- it is really very nice. I also like the separate immigration/passport control point and private security at BKK if flying TG C/F.

A nice touch on Bangkok Airways is the lounge for all passengers- at every one of their departure airports including PNH.

OK- after two positives- one super negative I have noticed is that 9/10 of my last AZ flights have been late at least 30 minutes. Finally, the music played when Ryanair lands on time gets old pretty quickly. I'll stick with LH.

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me, my only recent non-primary carrier experiences have been with SQ. In addition to the FA uniforms that look very different from DL, there's IFC, book the cook, and lounges (ANA FC/Suites at NRT and TPR at SIN T3) where people serve you food and drink at your seat. I like being able to order from the menu in TPR.

9. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I occasionally fly other carriers intra-Europe.

Germanwings (4U). It has generally been a good experience. The only thing I've had happen was I paid the extra $$ for a second bag, but it did not allow me extra weight and I was over a couple of pounds. Fortunately, since it was close, the agent let it go anyway.

British Airways. Other than the time they left my bag in London (I say left as it was a direct flight), it's been fine. Polite staff, 1 23kg bag included in price, and I can use Biz check in as a AA Gold. Baggage has been very prompt on all fights, especially when coming into LHR T5.