What Determines The Value Of Transferrable Points Currencies?

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Jul 21, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

On Sunday I wrote a post about the best credit cards to use for airfare purchases. Reader 31583 left the following comment on the post: "Could you please explain why do you think that MR points worth 1.8 cents each? I guess you can’t. Anyway it looks like Citi Prestige Card wins. 3 points / dollar and up to 1.6 cents redemption value compared to Amex’s 1 cent is awesome. Nice post except you’re clearly promoting Amex despite it’s only comparable to the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card." This month I'll be sharing my updated valuation of miles & points, though in the meantime I think the above is a question which is worth addressing. In the post about which credit card to use for airfare purchases, I explained that I value American Express Membership Rewards and Chase Ultimate Rewards points at 1.8 cents each, while I value Citi ThankYou points at 1.6 cents each. How do I come up with those valuations, in general? The post What Determines The Value Of Transferrable Points Currencies? appeared first on One Mile at a Time.

Continue reading...