What date in November do UG certs roll over to 2016/17.

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by londoncalling, Oct 11, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a trip planned in early November and will pass another threshold but would like those EUP Grade certs to be moved into next year's use.
    I thank you in advance for getting me the date.

YULtide likes this.
  2. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for that information

[Sent from my Tapatalk enabled iPhone]

mevlannen and YULtide like this.
  4. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I expect to hit a threshold on 30 October. Wondering if the Nov 1 date applies to date the e-upgrades are earned or deposited in my account. I'll report back.

londoncalling and mevlannen like this.
  5. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you, YULtide, you rock my tiny little world!

Dawns upon me that it might not have been such a good idea to roll over past 100 segments this past weekend, because (alas!) I shall now shortly receive a bumper crop of certs that'll be no use to me after the end of February. Great thinking there, Mevs, great thinking!

londoncalling and YULtide like this.
  6. londoncalling

Status Points:
    I believe its the flight date.

YULtide and mevlannen like this.
  7. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just remove your Aeroplan number from the reservation and then manually request credit in November.

YULtide likes this.
  8. londoncalling

Status Points:
    I am not sure that works as they will still post the flight on the date taken regardless of when it is reported. That used to work in the good old days.
    At least that is my experience.

YULtide and mevlannen like this.
  9. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Londoncalling, I suspect (ruefully) that you are correct about the time of posting. The only way I have been able to influence the timing is to manually key-in flights taken on tickets 'owned' by third-party travel agents (such as our corporate agent, who work 'behind' the Concur booking-engine). Of course, that acts to bring the posting forward, not to push it backward.

Come early next year, it looks as if I shall have a whole whack of certs to give away, because right now it does not appear that I shall be travelling on AC metal at all, betweem late November and early April. Mirabile dictu!

YULtide likes this.
  10. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    And they're hard to give away, tho' as a SE you can give them to one lucky person.

UG certs are funny, though. I really lucked out this year given my status saga. I started out as E50K and received the certs for that status. Then when I was granted E75K status I received the certs to go with that as well. Double certs! However, with the increased number of certs required to upgrade, and with a couple of trips where I shared with Mrs Y, I've burned through all of them. I should get 10 more after my next trip, but they will be useless on their own, as it takes 15 to upgrade my most common trip YEG-YYZ. (Fewer, I know, if a flight pass is used.) I've been on several, flights where the front cabin is half full or less this year, so it looks like the strategy of keeping people in the back has been working. Tho' it's not obvious to me what the advantage is for AC.

I'll watch for when the certs post after my trip next week. Sometime in the first week of November, I should think. Then we'll see if they carry over. If not, I will need to combine them with some from next year's batch to burn in January or just leave them on the table to expire.

mevlannen likes this.
  11. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do pardon my ignorance, YULtide, but is it still possible to upgrade a random stranger whom one meets in the boarding area?

YULtide likes this.
  12. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe so, but it would have to be on the same flight as you're taking, which would mean you'd have to be flying on AC. But your comment about not flying AC suggested that would not be a regular avenue for using up the certs.

But that is a way to give away certs that I hadn't particularly considered.

mevlannen likes this.
  13. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. That doesn't require them to be a nominee.

YULtide likes this.
  14. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just got my upgrade credits, having hit the threshold last Friday. The credits won't expire until 28 Feb 2017! So the date of deposit seems to be what counts for the rollover.

londoncalling and ACMM like this.
  15. londoncalling

Status Points:
    I think you got lucky so enjoy because AC goes by flight date normally. In fact in my humble opinion Ecerts ought to be good for 12 months after being earned and that way one would have a constant rolling number of them.

16. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe the 12 month expiry will be part of the 2016 enhancements.

We'll see....