What credit card is best for a hotel in the Flordia Keys?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Beachgirl07, Dec 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Beachgirl07

Beachgirl07 Silver Member

I am looking to go to the Keys in mid February and need some recommendations. I don't
    necessarily need a fancy hotel just a unique place low cost. Any suggestions for a credit
    card with somewhat low minimum spend ? I will be traveling with some college students
    and need more than one room in the place we pick to stay. Anyone in my milepoint family
    have any favorite key west destinations? il faut que je parte!
  2. TXHeritagetraveler

TXHeritagetraveler Silver Member

In Key West we really enjoyed our stay at Casa Marina a Waldorf Astoria Hotel (Hilton) but that won't fit your inexpensive criteria. We did use points for an award stay and it was worth it. We also used Key West Eco Tours for a combo kayak and snorkeling excursion and it was the highlight of our trip. Only 3 or 4 couples out on the catamaran so it was very personalized and special. We would have gone back out for a second day if it weren't the end of our trip. Also sought out the Pub With No Name on Big Pine Key (I think) on our way off the keys for a quirky quasi-historic landmark lunch and saw a bunch of key deer in route. At the north end we stayed one night at the Hampton Inn Key Largo which was pricey for a Hampton and the rooms were just OK but it was a nice spot and pretty grounds. There is a bird sanctuary/ rescue facility south of Key Largo that made a nice stop if you enjoy that kind of thing.
    viguera likes this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

+1 for Casa Marina, although it definitely doesn't fit in the inexpensive category. Same goes for the only other option that I would consider down there, which is Sunset Key Guest Cottages, which is a Westin / SPG property.

If you're looking at low cost / college student setup then you'll have to wait for the younger party crowd to get involved with recommendations... me personally I like to go and sit down by the pool / beach and relax. :)

Keep in mind that if you do consider either one of those properties, booking through Virtuoso will get net you some perks.

At Casa Marina you'd get an upgrade (based on availability, which basically means don't count on it), daily buffet breakfast and $100 credit per stay.

At the Westin you'd get a Cottage upgrade (again, based on availability), daily full breakfast (up to $40 per day using vouchers) and $100 credit per stay.