What cool terms does your industry use?

Discussion in 'Off Topic/Social' started by mikeef, Jan 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    In another thread, I was reading about a personal industry law term known as the eggshell plaintiff. It got me thinking that every industry has its own interesting terms that others outside of it don't know about. For instance, I work in financial services and thought of the following:

"The Bakeoff:" When investment banks are bidding to represent a company in an IPO, they all do a presentation which is known in the industry as a bakeoff.

"Dead Cat Bounce" Yeah, it's pretty bad. It's a term for a stock that drops a ton at once and gets a little bounce from bargain hunters. Follows the theory that even a dead cat will bounce a little if you drop it from high enough up.

What are some others in your industry?

Mike

Silver Springer, flyingdawg and deant like this.
  2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Wet Dress Rehearsal - Getting ready to launch a rocket and going through the complete countdown including loading propellants (but not actually launching the rocket).

3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Dutchman - that's a piece of matching stone cut to a perfect fit as a plug to repair to damaged stone. "Cutting a dutchman" is the process of preparing such a piece.