What Class of Airfare do you Normally Purchase

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by edekba, Nov 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

?

What class of Airfare do you normally purchase (cash)?

1. First Class (discount or Full Fare)

9.5%
  2. Business Full Fare

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Business discount

9.5%
  4. Economy Full Fare

7.1%
  5. Economy Discount (Deep or regular)

85.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    So after reading a thread here about the worth of F ... it had me thinking.

What Class of Airfare do you normally purchase (cash) a majority of the time?

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    To be honest, the cheapest Economy we can find!:)

sobore, marcwint55, iolaire and 4 others like this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same ... i do cheapest Eco and try to even find the 5% discount codes :)

sobore, marcwint55, iolaire and 3 others like this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I buy discount premium fares to Europe, Middle East and Asia where large discounts are available in my market. I often buy discounted economy when going to the US assuming I can get an upgrade. Sometimes I buy business class also, always discounted.

5. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Deep discount economy that earns full miles. For long flights. I do a night-out the night before and sleep through the whole journey. And then I arrive refreshed at my destination raring to go on a 10 mile hike.

sobore, AUSsie, marcwint55 and 6 others like this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Always discounted economy for domestic travel, and at least the lowest SWU-able (UA 'W') economy fare for international, but somehow I almost always manage to travel in premium cabins...:D

7. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Discount Economy most of the time...glad to take advantage of Economy Comfort on DL and looking forward to the roll out of Main Cabin Extra on AA.

:)

marcwint55, iolaire, Jimgotkp and 2 others like this.
  8. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Discount Economy.. Poor college student's budget = no paid premium tickets :(

9. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am usually, but not always, in discount economy. If I have enough money/miles, I'll be in a premium cabin, but that's pretty rare.

sobore, marcwint55, iolaire and 3 others like this.
  10. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1

Except that I have a couple of bourbon and cokes right before the flight and then zonk out during so that I'm somewhat ready to go when I arrive.

sobore, marcwint55, edekba and 2 others like this.
  11. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Full miles (EQM/RDM) or Full Points (EQP)

12. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Full miles (EDM/RDM). Generally, I don't fly on flights which would earn me 50% or lower miles in the airline of my choice.

13. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    G fares. If I'm desperate, maybe L or K :cool:

sobore, marcwint55, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  14. SOLTATIO

SOLTATIO Silver Member

Status Points:
    The cheapest Y fare I can find other than those glorious days when I am on an award ticket and they say "Welcome Mr. Soltatio. You seat is right this way..." Makes discount economy worthwhile.

15. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll admit that it's many years since I've flown other than in Tourist Class, but it's not always the cheapest tickets. As an example I paid more than twice as much for a return flight from OSL to NCE in October compared with what I would have paid for a return ticket OSL to JFK with today's offer from Norwegian Long Haul for flights starting on 30 May 2013 (return ticket price from NOK 2000 = USD 349).

sobore, marcwint55 and jbcarioca like this.
  16. maradori
    Original Member

maradori Silver Member

Status Points:
    United K is the highest that I'll go.

This message has been brought to you by the letter "G", the elixir of mileage runs

marcwint55, jbcarioca and Scottrick like this.
  17. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whatever is cheapest.

I have bought F once, but it was because it was really worth it ($600 rt over Y to fly F on EK A380).

I have bought over the cheapest coach fare once, when it was $10 more to be able to use miles to upgrade for free rather than with a co-pay (for a transcon)

marcwint55 and jbcarioca like this.
  18. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    what a bunch of cheapskates we are...

19. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I marked "Business Discount" which, while not strictly accurate, is the closest I could find.

I buy "M" fares on Delta, which cost a few hundred dollars less than Business Discount, can be upgraded with SkyMiles, and offer more flexibility than Business Discount. All of my flights across the Atlantic in the past three years have been on M fares.

That said, for shorter flights (anything to Europe) I buy the cheapest economy seats I can find.

marcwint55 and jbcarioca like this.
  20. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too use M, B or, horrors, Y. M fares are often not available in my market and sometimes B is cheaper than M, and B also does not have a change fee, so I often choose B precisely because of my frequent changes, even if it costs a little more. It is confusing to many of us because DL international upgrades come from only the Z inventory, so an expert flyer search, for example, needs to be for Z availability.

Dovster, maradori and marcwint55 like this.
  21. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    For international it is business or first. For domestic I will usually book coach through American as I almost always get upgraded. recently we did book coach for LA to Tokyo, but we used the systemwides for the business upgrade.

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    M fares TLV-USA-TLV are much cheaper than USA-TLV-USA for some reason. In addition, the 50,000 SkyMiles includes upgrades (where G is available) on all other flights to/from the final destination. My next itinerary, for example, is TLV-JFK, JFK-LAS, LAS-ATL, ATL-JFK-TLV. It is considered a round trip to/from LAS, charged as such despite my stopovers in NYC and Atlanta, and I was upgraded on all segments at my time of booking.

My previous itinerary was TLV-JFK-SEA, SEA-SLC-LAS, LAS-ATL, ATL-JFK-TLV. Here, too, I received all upgrades at time of booking, except for the 45 minute segment SLC-LAS (in which I sat in EC).

The trip before that was TLV-JFK-ATL, ATL-LAS, LAS-MCO, MCO-JFK-TLV. I was upgraded at time of booking for all segments except LAS-MCO, and was notified about a week in advance that I had been upgraded for that flight as well.

I do not, however, use Expert Flyer. I call Delta, tell them when I want to travel, but refuse to ticket until they can at least guarantee my TLV-JFK and JFK-TLV upgrades. The worst I have found so far was changing my return flight by one day in order to get this.

jbcarioca and sobore like this.
  23. redbroccoli

redbroccoli Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depends on who's actually paying for the ticket.
    If I pay out of my own pocket, then it is discounted economy.
    Usually UA W class or AA where I can use GPUs or eVIPs.

If company pays, then it depends on the length of the trip, etc.
    Discounted Business if certain conditions are met.
    But then, I didn't buy those tickets myself, did I?

So I voted discount economy.

edekba likes this.
  24. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    For me, it depends on the cost difference between Economy discount (or deep) and First Special (or Instant Upgrade). If the differential is ~$150 or less per segment, I will generally purchase directly into First. Other exceptions are if the flight is less than 2 hours long, I will book Economy and not only that, I will won't burn an upgrade on a flight that short.

25. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    For domestic service, a very substantial majority of the seats are in coach. In the US, most of the non-coach seats get filled with upgraders. 95-99% of the people on the plane paid for a coach ticket, and most purchased more than 2 weeks in advance. For most cases, there's little to nothing gained from buying anything other than cheapest economy or discounted first/biz, especially with the very large premium over deep discount coach. With 25% of people indicating they somewhat regularly buy up to first, business, or a flexible fare as of the current results (and 18% not regularly buying discount coach)...we're actually not that cheap after all! International equipment is a bit more premium heavy and the value of those premium seats is a lot higher of course. Here we have a lot of people choosing their airline over how to get into that cabin affordably, after all.

Espan and edekba like this.