What card to get right now?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by michael21, Mar 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I haven't gotten a card in awhile and again I'm all about the European travel is there a reason I wouldn't get the sapphire preferred card?

Thanks

2. Jeff the Wanderer

Jeff the Wanderer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nope....unless you have too many Chase cards or have applied for one within the past 30 days. I love my Sapphire Preferred and you have great transfer options that can get you some European travel.

3. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What would you recommend secondly behind that card?

4. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It matters. What are your goals? Where in Europe do you want to go? What airport(s) in the US do you mainly fly out of?

5. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    What cards do you have and what alliances do you use?

6. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flying out of Chicago to Italy mainly and I have a bunch of Amex points coming and united mainly.

7. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    AmEx points would be best used on DL to book flights on Air France/KLM/Alitalia.

How many UA miles do you have? You can add to that with the Chase UA Visa, which has 50K on first purchase. If you've gotten a bunch of Chase cards recently, though, that might not be an option.

You can also do the 2-browser Citi AA trick to get 2 x 50K AA miles, but there's a $6K minimum spend in 3 months (I think) for that. Since you're in Chicago, service out of ORD on AA is great.

US has a card that gives 40K on first purchase, but you'd need more miles to get a trip to Europe out of that, so you'd need to participate in various US promos to add to that.

8. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Who is US?

9. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    US Airways

10. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    What about hotel cards? SPG is great if you have not had it.

11. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just applied to the card united card and waiting to hear back...don't know why it wasn't an instant approval...they just approved a business card with a 40k limit...is that normal that they would have to review it anyway?

12. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since you applied for the United Explorer card, I'd say maybe do the AA 50K VISA/AMEX for 100K then wait 6 months and do the Biz at 50K.

13. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    When i found a link for the citi amex it says sorry can't find it...is it expired?

Jimgotkp likes this.
  14. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://millionmilesecrets.com/2011/10/11/citi-aadvantage-50000/

I would use two separate 'incognito windows" if you use Chrome or two separate "private browsing windows" if you use Firefox. Both links work for me.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  15. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe it is still my newb like state but it seems that AA points are terrible compared to United, no? The seats in business on AA don't go flat like they do with a bunch of the united partners...and only real option AA wise to Europe is to send em over to British and pay huge surcharge fees no?

16. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, AA just bought some new 777-300ERs with a fantastic looking J class that they're putting on the LHR route ... though that won't happen 'til the end of the year (at the earliest).

But yes, currently UA has a better J class and European partners who don't charge fuel surcharges.

17. E170

E170 Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA also has a good oneworld award chart. Only 80k to go from London to Australia / South Pacific in first class. You can try out Qantas' A380 and get to some very cool places. Diversification is also important. Points inflation sucks.