What can the Gate Agent See?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by davidbbrenner, Dec 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. davidbbrenner

davidbbrenner Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all, and happy holidays.
    Does anyone know, when the gate attendant is looking us up in the computer, do they just see the status, or do they see how it was attained, where your miles are now, where they were earned, etc.?
    For example, I'm a Platinum in One Pass, but nearly every one of my 76K EQMs were put into the MP program, and I currently have just about all of my 150K miles in the MP side of the house. Does the Continental Gate Agent know that and see me as "less" of a Platinum than he/she who earned 76K with them?
    Reason I ask is less relevant to UA/CO because of the impending merger, but let's say I get a status match for a hotel chain or even an airline. Will they see that I am a "matched" elite, or do they not have that level of detail?
    Thanks -
    dave

AZjohn and alohastephen like this.
  2. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gate agents probably don't have time to look up your prior flight history.

If you write in to customer service (e.g. to compliment an agent or draw attention to a problem), some agents will tell you that they have looked at your travel activity, e.g. "Thanks for writing to us. We're always thrilled to hear from our loyal customers and we're very happy that you've flown 86,300 miles with us so far this year."

AZjohn likes this.
  3. davidbbrenner

davidbbrenner Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reply -- I knew that when I called up Customer Service they would do that, but didn't know if the agents saw anything more than the status level, be it at the airlines, or even at hotels, do they feel that "not all elites are created equal".

4. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    You ask a good question Dave and sometimes have wondered this myself. My gut feel is a GA really has no time to drill down into details. While other times, like when I call the 1K line, an agent there has drilled down into details about a PNR I have totally forgotten (like how many times I have changed it and the dates:oops:). So I'm sure details of status and such are there if anyone wants to look, but most of the time they don't need or want to.
    John

5. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    What does the gate agent see?

A pax hoping for that last F seat ! :)

6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    While the data is there if they really want to look, it isn't meaningful for a ga making decisions. With very limited exception, upgrade decisions are made by formula, not GAs assessing how much you actually fly, anyhow.

EX-LAX likes this.
  7. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    "STATUS" is only important in the mind of the beholder.
    I can assure you that the g/a could care less who anyone is, or thinks they are.
    5 to 10 minutes prior to the door closing, which could be 5 to 10 minutes before the aircraft is scheduled to depart, the g/a is thinking about one thing, and one thing only, and that is making the supervisor happy that is hiding in the wings, peeking around the corner, to see if the flight is on-time or not.

It's ALL done automatically anymore and the list is visible to all, in most airports. Years ago, status could be trumped by better looking passengers who kissed up to the agents, but for fear of losing their jobs that disappeared about the same time as the hot fudge sundaes, with or without crushed nuts.

8. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always thought agents could see your FT post history, which is why certain people seem to have more "difficulties" than others. ;)

msv, UA191, LarryInNYC and 5 others like this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think F12 runs a complete FBI background check.

Ygor and TAHKUCT like this.
  10. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you're confusing the Southwest "Walk the Line" sobriety test, administered prior to boarding, which of course also includes counting backwards from 60 to 1 in less that 5 seconds while standing on one leg and touching your nose with your middle finger.

11. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    You do not think they get any info from CIA in addition to FBI?

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's accessed via F13, but most gate agents don't have the necessary clearance for that and will need to call a Service Director to get access.

I also wonder if UA will follow the Delta example and install nudoscope scanners in the podiums, to surreptitiously check for crotch bombs of the folks lining up for boarding passes and upgrades. Note: may not be used for upgrade prioritization.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  13. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now I understand why F13 is removed on some of the keyboards :)

I hope they will not be cheep and purchase good nudoscopes so we do not have to undress completely to go through in order to board.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  14. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually a recent order was placed for cheap mirrors for their company issued "Wingtips"!

TAHKUCT likes this.
  15. Italy98
    Original Member

Italy98 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Information about your status, IIRC (from the Atlanta Delta DO, October 2010), is displayed when the TA/GA pulls up your SM account. # of and frequency of flights, fare class paid, etc.

16. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I mean if a gate agent had all the time in the world they could probably look up anything they wanted to. but in reality i doubt that ever happens. From what i have heard all the date is available in computer. the only time they might do some research is in event of an OP-UP on intl flight. in which case through logic and data out the window.

I like to think I have learned the art of acquiring the Op-UP

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Based on personal experience, I know of at least two methods that have ensured an international Op Up.

TrippePanAM likes this.
  18. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very nice

now to quote a movie

Keep it secret, Keep it Safe

19. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you talking about the legendary "Upgrade Flirt" !?

Flyer1976 likes this.
  20. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    The items we can see, this is for sCO agents using your One Pass number: status, miles available, address, phone numbers, date of last flight posted and if you have United Club memborship.

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not at all:

- method one: 10 mins prior to boarding, buy a Starbucks sandwich as a substitute for the slob they serve in coach. Don't dawdle, though, and return to the gate immediately, because they'll page you shortly thereafter and hand you a C boarding pass.

- method two: Pick a seat in E+ right in front of a person who looks like s/he is going to complain about everything (and be annoying about it). Be nice to the FAs. 15 minutes after departure, the person behind you will start complaining about the malfunctioning IFE in her seat. Be sure to turn on yours for everyone to see yours works. The purser will be notified and move you to an empty C seat while the annoying complainer will be moved to your seat.

I had 100% success with these two methods this year :D YMMV.

jupper and Ygor like this.
  22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Do you need the address for anything?

23. Titans26

Titans26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The gate agent stated that I received a last minute upgrade to First Class from Business Class on PS JFK/SFO because I was flying JFK/SFO/HKG and all of the other Business Class passengers were terminating in SFO or connecting to shorter flights.

genemk2 and TAHKUCT like this.