What can OWE expect in AC?

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by Princess Fiona, Feb 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Princess Fiona
    Original Member

Princess Fiona Silver Member

Status Points:
    Newbie ( hopeful) question, I'll be visiting a few AC over the next 10 days, QF Plat OWE
    Will I get free-wi-fi, vouchers for Premium drinks?
    Or none of the above.

2. Alan in CBR
    Original Member

Alan in CBR Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are in an airport with a Flagship Lounge (LAX, ORD, JFK, LHR - have I missed any?) then you get into them. All have pour-your-own drinks. Last time I was in the LAX FL they gave out codes for free wifi, but you couldn't get one in the Admirals Club. Similarly I don't recall any US Admirals Clubs with free wifi, except for their own members.

At Admirals Clubs (i.e. anywhere without a FL) you are eligible for vouchers for premium drinks, but you may have to ask for them. Run of the mill drinks are now free at Admirals Clubs. At the risk of starting a tip/don't tip war, in my opinion it is still the done thing to tip US$1 per drink even if it is free or covered by a voucher. Which reminds me, I don't know if it is intentional, but the drink vouchers have exactly the same dimensions as the paper currency. Perhaps it is so they fit in the cash registers.

Edited to add: When I referred to "US Admirals Clubs" I meant Admirals Clubs in the United States - I didn't mean "US" as in "US Airways". Geez, codes can be confusion sometimes.

kiwi likes this.
  3. Alan in CBR
    Original Member

Alan in CBR Silver Member

Status Points:
    Something else I forgot to mention. As a OWE you are entitled to visit any oneworld lounge. This can be useful depending where you are. For example if you are there at the right time (around the BA departure times), the BA lounge in IAD is much nicer than the Admirals Club.

4. Princess Fiona
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sadly I'm no-where with a Flagship lounge except LAX, and as flying QF with a short layover I'll probably use the BA/QF lounge. Other airports are MIA, MCO, SFO ( all flying AA First Domestic). I agree with you about tipping, last time in US I ran out of $1 and ended up tipping some folks more generously !

5. latrobe
    Original Member

latrobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a QFWP mrslatrobe has been offered complimentary T mobile cards for internet access~30% of the time.As QPNB,AA plat my score is zero.you should be offered drink coupons-good for upmarket drinks as basic drinks now complimentary in AC.If not offered ask.
    Yes and have your $1 prominently showing when you approach the bar.my personal observation is you get that little bit extra in the glass.

Princess Fiona likes this.
  6. JDiver
    Original Member

JDiver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Premium drinks they should give you chits for AFAIK; WiFi access you should ask for it if not proferred.

7. Princess Fiona
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Quick update, am now in AC at SFO, given one drink voucher on arrival and others as requested. Not offered a wi-fi card but went back to desk later and asked where to purchase one. Staff said " oh you flew First Class here " and gave me a card, I didn't fly F but kept quiet. $1 tips given at bar with vouchers and huge measures being poured. Next stop MIA

JALPak likes this.
  8. wingspan
    Original Member

wingspan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm when I was last in BOS I was offered free wifi even though I was flying Y. I think wifi IS part of the deal if you're OneWorld Emerald.

9. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Princess Fiona,
    Also note that a new BA/IB lounge has now opened in MIA (in the former Terminal E Flagship).
    (there is a passage between D and E near Gate D31 (and indeed this E lounge is probably closer if you are departing from D31/D32)
    No detailed reviews as yet.
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-mia-miami-admirals-clubs-consolidated-6.html
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...temporary-oneworld-lounge-mia-terminal-e.html

I've got a couple of pics from its former incarnation as a FL (click to enlarge)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Princess Fiona likes this.
  10. Princess Fiona
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thank you :) I'll be back there in a couple of days and will check it out and post back

11. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points: